• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo! 100points

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Congrats on the mile stone David, you're moving along. You're helping out the team many other ways (linux program, tips, tech etc) besides just folding, so keep up the great work.

I wonder if there is a white noise filter that works with fans units???

....and tell the parents that you're trying to help rid the world of Alzeimher's and other debilitating diseases and if they want you to support them when they are old they'd better get behind you :D:D

Wedo

Wedo said:
Congrats on the mile stone David, you're moving along. You're helping out the team many other ways (linux program, tips, tech etc) besides just folding, so keep up the great work.

I wonder if there is a white noise filter that works with fans units???

....and tell the parents that you're trying to help rid the world of Alzeimher's and other debilitating diseases and if they want you to support them when they are old they'd better get behind you :D:D

Wedo

There has been a minor setback. The 5 pointer will be in 2 hours late after an accident with my CPU fan. I have an older and slightly noisier one now.

Looking to get a Zalman Flower cooler in the near future.

Yipee.
Another ProteinA variant in, thats the third in three days I think. And another one will be in late tommorrow night BST :D.

107points and climbing, Rage3D ought to watch out ;).

I need to get this rig folding 24/7 :D

David said:

107points and climbing, Rage3D ought to watch out ;).

I need to get this rig folding 24/7 :D

oh yeah, David is going to hold them off by himself:D 5 bucks on David:)

lol
I may not hold them off much, but at least it may secure our number three spot for a few more minutes :D

NASsoccer said:

oh yeah, David is going to hold them off by himself:D 5 bucks on David:)

That's a better bet than you might think.

Ever seen the movie Braveheart? ;)

"I shoulda' remembered the rocks." "Aye, you shoulda'."

NedClocker said:

Yeah, right. Have you been drinking?

I've a better idea. :rolleyes: Move out!!!

My parents would not have any quibbles about letting me move out, I'm sure :D

Aren't we all problem children??? Look at what we spend our spare time doing LOL.. We're all sick and need help!!

Gotta love it :)

But hey: in this case i am the parent, some of us are sick too :D

Loud said:

Why? Are you a problem child? ;)

lol. Not really. I just keep bugging my parents to get cable (still no success :() and I keep trying to get my dad to replace his useless slow and rubbish K6-2-250 with a Duron.

You should send Mr.B a PM as he is the King of Covertness

His wife wouldnt let him keep his rigs on so he became pretty sneaky and hid the pc's :D

walaka7 said:
Aren't we all problem children??? Look at what we spend our spare time doing LOL.. We're all sick and need help!!

Gotta love it :)

But hey: in this case i am the parent, some of us are sick too :D

Heeey ... go easy there ... I resemble that! :D

Are we all doomed, then, to some future "Overclockers' Anonymous"?

"Hi! My nic is Loud ... and ... I'm an OVERCLOCKER!" :cry:

... hmmm ... :D ... maybe not ...

Silversinksam said:
You should send Mr.B a PM as he is the King of Covertness

His wife wouldnt let him keep his rigs on so he became pretty sneaky and hid the pc's :D

LOL.... not so much "hid" them, as I made them appear not working. My main tower (4Q Full Tower) has a 120mm front intake fan...kinda loud. You don't really notice/hear the other rigs running when the main is up, which it is 24/7.

All I did was unplug the power and hard drive LED's on the front panel (bezel)....and let her think it was an empty case.... :p

The secret to this is quiet fans in the "stealth" rigs, and loud ones in the ones that are obviously running.... ;)

You want to get quiet ?

Ok here is a good way.Replace the delta screamer with a nice stock 30cfm heat sink fan,then install a duct to the case side to draw fresh air directly to the heat sink with it ...

For sure will keep your temps as cool as the screamer fan without the noise...

Mr B said:

All I did was unplug the power and hard drive LED's on the front panel (bezel)....and let her think it was an empty case.... :p

The secret to this is quiet fans in the "stealth" rigs, and loud ones in the ones that are obviously running.... ;)

Yeah, but she can still COUNT and would probably notice if there were FIVE "empty" cases there when there were FOUR the other day eh?? :argue: :rolleyes: :p

LEDs are covered up, numlock off, speakers off, VDU off. She still can hear it tho. I need one of those white noise makers. SSS has offered me a Nidec fan (thanks :)) which should be quieter. I had an 'accident' with my quieter 60mm and it now makes a loud grinding and roaing noise. I am back with a slower and noisier fan now which meakes concealing my PC being on even harder :eek:.

David

David said:
LEDs are covered up, numlock off, speakers off, VDU off. She still can hear it tho. I need one of those white noise makers. SSS has offered me a Nidec fan (thanks :)) which should be quieter. I had an 'accident' with my quieter 60mm and it now makes a loud grinding and roaing noise. I am back with a slower and noisier fan now which meakes concealing my PC being on even harder :eek:.

David

Use the force -- WATERCOOL IT!

The aquarium pumps most people use for watercooled PC's are completely silent, the only sound from a watercooled system comes from whatever fan is used to blow air through the radiator - which is typically a large 120mm fan running at much lower rpm's than any CPU HSF does and can be almost silent... what's more, it doesn't have to be IN the PC... one can run slightly longer tubing and bury the radiator/fan away from the main PC.

For your purposes however, a simple setup would certainly suffice to "stealth" your PC. Basically there are four items you'd need:

(1) a reliable aquarium pump,
(2) a waterblock (replaces the HSF on the CPU),
(3) a radiator,
(4) plastic tubing to connect the three together.
plus some water of course!

That's basically it! Depending on how "ghetto" you are willing to go, you can do this very cheaply if you scrounge some of the parts from junk and "do it yourself" a bit -- dunno about UK prices, but it is quite possible to bodge together a very adequate watercooling rig for as little as $50US. (At a minimum, even if you build a DIY waterblock from scrounged plumbing trash, and scrounge a radiator/heatercore from automotive junk, you will still have to purchase the aquarium pump.)

If you are less mechanically inclined, there are now quite a number of premade waterblocks and radiators available online at quit reasonable prices, a completely premade watercooling setup can be had for about $175US. :cool:

Back