• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would you say this is a bad cooling solution, Raijintek TRITON AIO?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
have you thought about running prime 95 instead of ibt at high setting, or perhaps try standard settings in ibt.
I use ibt at high and custom to test cooling performance, high with a 120x2 rad will give high temps.

here is my 4790K clocked as I think yours is, but I have an ek supremecy waterblock and a 9x 120 rad with 2 fans on.
I'm not saying we can't make it better, heaven knows we can all improve, we can work on our mounts, applying our tim, all sorts of things, I just don't see a problem with your cooler.
you have the short term cooling I have for far less money, and I say good on ya!!!

Attachments

• ibt.JPG
    ibt.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 174
I'm sorry it took so long, but I was busy yesterday, so I'm posting this picture now:

KYyUek3.jpg

Basically, I loaded BIOS default settings, so everything is back to stock. I ran IBT on standard for 3x20 runs, then I immediately tested with AIDA64 stability test. The temperature difference is huge (from IBT to AIDA64)
I hope this tells you anything helpful regarding my issue

Depends on the test... if you run ONLY the FPU test, it will be in the ballpark. But the default test, indeedy. :)

I don't touch:

IBT
OCCT
Linx

... as they are overkill.

I stick with AIDA64 (default test), and a slightly older version of P95 (newest really cooks things).

I'll try to remember tonight to hook up my Z87 system and test some temps for you, that still seems high to me.

I still don't see his temps as needing to jump about and run out and spend $300 on, I would rather see it after looping heaven for and hour or so.

Heaven is a GPU intensive application, a polar opposite of a CPU stress test and not really even indicitive of a gaming load it is that light on the CPU...

Not sure anyone is saying to go buy custom water... we are having the guy reseat and confirm his mount as the last pictures he showed us it had a terrible spread for whatever reason...

ok found the pics and reread.
it like a concave cold plate.
use a credit card and hold it very upright and move it across the waterblock, don't drag it just lift it and reset it on the block, in all four directions and crissy crossy.
for me it's best that I turn the lights off in the room. open the shades and look under the credit card while standing in the shaded room.

This is why I say your temps are high:
2015-04-08 19_12_40-Greenshot.jpg

I'm seeing ~10°C lower temps, at identical settings.
My room is a bit cooler (about 21°C tonight) so that makes up for a few degrees, but not THAT much.

Yeah I can see what you mean. On one of the other forums somebody told me that I might have bad contact between CPU and heatsink (not CPU and actual waterblock)

You mean the IHS (the metal that protects the CPU die)?

yes, that's what I meant

- - - Updated - - -

Do you still have the stock cooler?

yes, I have it :)

- - - Updated - - -

ok found the pics and reread.
it like a concave cold plate.
use a credit card and hold it very upright and move it across the waterblock, don't drag it just lift it and reset it on the block, in all four directions and crissy crossy.
for me it's best that I turn the lights off in the room. open the shades and look under the credit card while standing in the shaded room.

will try to do it, so basically if I can see a light between a credit card and cold plate, it means that it's concave?

Yes, if you see light in the middle that isn't good.

Can you try running IBT at stock with the stock cooler and see what the temps are?
Might as well since you'll have the AIO off to check the block anyway.

if the cold plate is low in the center, you see light in the middle, it's rma time.
if you see light on the edges, but can't "feel" the card rock back and forth you might be ok, if you see light on the edges but can "feel" the card rock back and forth it's rma time.

I just did the credit card method, checked in all 4 directions and criss cross.

Basically in the middle I couldn't see any light passing through. At the edges (basically the part that doesnt touch the cpu at all) I could see the light, but the card didnt move back and forth. Tomorrow I'll test with the stock cooler.

This cold plate is attached to waterblock with screws... I have a question: why are they screwed tight, all the way?
IMG_9047.jpg
is it a good idea if I try to tighten them up a bit more?

tightening the screws, no. there is a seal in there and we would rather not have it move around.

esplaining the card test,
your eyes can see light through a slot between .006 inch and .008 inch, these are thousands.
your fingers can "feel" around .010 inch and .020 inch if the card is held gentley and softly.
your cold plate i would expect is with in specs and is slightly convex and this is good.
now we want to do the same thing on the top of the cpu ihs, this surface should be nearly level and true up, down, left, right and crissy crossy.
if it is, you will just have to practice mounting your cooler till you find that you can get good coverage.
don't worry about what we might think, we can't see you do it and we have all had to practice at one time or the other.
try a blob about the size of a grain of rice, try a small line down the middle, try an x shape, try just starting the 2 screws and a half turn on each till so very tight and anything you might think of or find on the net. the thermal grease i use you have to apply with a brush.

tightening the screws, no. there is a seal in there and we would rather not have it move around.

esplaining the card test,
your eyes can see light through a slot between .006 inch and .008 inch, these are thousands.
your fingers can "feel" around .010 inch and .020 inch if the card is held gentley and softly.
your cold plate i would expect is with in specs and is slightly convex and this is good.
now we want to do the same thing on the top of the cpu ihs, this surface should be nearly level and true up, down, left, right and crissy crossy.
if it is, you will just have to practice mounting your cooler till you find that you can get good coverage.
don't worry about what we might think, we can't see you do it and we have all had to practice at one time or the other.
try a blob about the size of a grain of rice, try a small line down the middle, try an x shape, try just starting the 2 screws and a half turn on each till so very tight and anything you might think of or find on the net. the thermal grease i use you have to apply with a brush.

Thank you for your reply :)

I'll do the same procedure on my CPU tomorrow, then :) and regarding that "don't worry about what we might think"... I'm not worrying about that. I wouldn't be asking for help if I worried what you might think.
Actually, I had lots of coolers, but I never had problems with any of it... This is my first liquid cooler and I'm already getting flooded with issues. I know that when I mount this thing on my CPU, I do everything correct. I apply grain of rice of thermal paste, and mount it on CPU and torque it just enough, so it's not loose nor overtorqued...but I'm still getting weird temperatures...
Heck, I even tried applying thermal paste a size of PEA, since I ran out of ideas... Of course temperatures were even worse, so I applied grain of rice again.

Back