• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WSUS offline not working for me lately

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you try switching servers ? And how would I do that? How would I know where another servers lives that has the needed files to download? all tools search the same IP's regardless of who made them, so is anything is blocking it you're effectively screwed. Wasn't there a file in the Windows folder that could be used to block IP's, anyone tried checking it ? Could also be that the website checks which Windows version you're using and blocks accordingly. Tell me more.

If you look at the 1st screenshot i highlighted a tab "server used" (Update service). You have 3 choices, Microsoft Update/Windows Store/Windows Update, one of them SHOULD work unless Microsoft is actively trying to block Win7 (i assume you let it through your firewall) ?

File i mentioned to block IP's is called "Hosts" in directory C:/Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/. Portions of Spybot Anti-Beacon and ShutUp10 use this to block telemetry.

Last edited:
Yes, I did let it through the firewall.

Ah, didn't realize that in mintool you could choose an alternate microsoft server. will try that when I get a chance. Thanks for the info and clarification.

Last edited:
WSUS updated to 10.9
- C++ 2013 Redistributable Runtime Libraries updated to v. 12.0.40660.0 (Thanks to "epguy9")
- Ability added to use 'security only updates' instead of 'quality rollups' for Windows 7, 8.1 and Server 2008/2012 (R2) (x86/x64) systems (Thanks to the mods)
- Fix: Revised list of scan prerequisite updates for Windows Vista and Server 2008 (x86/x64) (Thanks to "Dalai", "lmacri", "SIW2" and the community)
- Fix: Revised ExcludeList-superseded-exclude.txt
- Fix: Revised ...\client\exclude\ExcludeList.txt
- Fix: Corrected adjustment of service 'Windows Update' (wuauserv)
- Fix: Download part erroneously excluded Security Update kb3163246 (MS16-091) for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows Server 2012
http://download.wsusoffline.net/

I'll have to give it a try on my new desk install.

So I did 2 fresh installs with WSUS over the weekend and ran into two problems. First is with the latest WSUS it would hang for what seemed like forever if IE11 was not installed before running update_install. Second which was only on one machine was that KB3172605 would cause it to hang and it had be manually installed. These are both win 7 machines.

Back