• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF IS THAT? Happened Overnight!!! DELETED ALL MY FILES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Koppix is just about the perfect universal rescue disk. If it could write to NTFS partitions reliably, it would be perfect. One of these days I'll have to create a BartPE disk to have when I need one. DOS can't help you when you're dealing with non FAT partitions.

Audioaficionado said:
Koppix is just about the perfect universal rescue disk. If it could write to NTFS partitions reliably, it would be perfect. One of these days I'll have to create a BartPE disk to have when I need one. DOS can't help you when you're dealing with non FAT partitions.

Here is a very good version of the bartpe disk with several plugins already set for you once you follow the guide. It should not take very long to make it:D

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Thanks for all the info,
BTW i thought DOS would help me because i have FAT32 on laptop (college requirement).
Kendan, great guide... i had some "fishy" version of BartPE compared to this one. Much more features.

OTMOPO3OK said:
Thanks for all the info,
BTW i thought DOS would help me because i have FAT32 on laptop (college requirement).
Kendan, great guide... i had some "fishy" version of BartPE compared to this one. Much more features.

Your "fishy" version is just the original which you have to manually add all the plugins. The UBCD4Win just bundles the plugins in a way that they are easily installed. Ypu can still add more plugins if you feel like it:D

So what was the cause of the original problem again and what are the various ways it can be corrected?

Slackfumasta said:
Well, it may not be a virus, though that seems unlikely to me.

It could be data corruption caused by any number of things such as improper shutdown, drive compression gone awry, even a drive that is going bad.

I'm out of ideas on how to try and recover your data; maybe if redduc comes around he'll have some better ideas for you.

RAM malfunctions can cause you to get error messages like that!!! I would run Memtest86 if I were you. But, that type of symptom is usually seen after inserting incompatible SDRAM modules.

c627627 said:
So what was the cause of the original problem again and what are the various ways it can be corrected?
Honestly i still don't know the original reason.
It might be some glitch with memory (although i've had this laptop for 3 years, no such problems). But i've checked with AV afterwords many times and found nothing. And if it still exists in my HDD it never showed its activity.

As for the resolution: All i did was boot from Knoppix and rename all the problematic folders (since Knoppix doesn't care about the names, as Windoze does). I did not find any virus. So it might be still there. A friend recommends a complete reimage but i will be able to do that only in September, if i really want to.
Hope it helps someone.

I've had the problem before. I was on Win98, and I was running a DOS-based Commodore 64 emulator. Somehow the emulator, every time it accessed a file, changed to whole directory path to DOS names with different encoding. Likely some program you ran had screwy file-access routines, and changed the encoding of the drive. (If you plan on going to Linux, Gentoo really isn't that complicated. Just read through the handbook as you're installing. It tells you exactly what you need to do and gives examples of what the settings are used for and how they can be changed.)

Back