• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X25-M Gen2 TRIM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dyst0pia

I have the new firmware with TRIM support, but I've got a few questions. First, my storage solution is a single SSD primary along with a RAID0 secondary array. As such, my motherboard SATA controller is set in RAID mode. Now, I know that TRIM doesn't work with RAID, but what if the SSD is a non-member disk? How do I check if TRIM is working?

Second, I assume that TRIM will only help for my future deleted files. Is there anything I need to do to after installing the firmware to reclaim the cells from my previously deleted files?

You can check to see if trim is enabled by typing in fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify at a command prompt. 1 means trim commands are disabled, 0 mean they are enabled.

I haven't checked in a while, but unless Intel has released a driver update supporting TRIM, then you'll be stuck using the MS drivers. Even then I'm not too sure about about it supporting a drive with the controller set in RAID mode.

As far as previously deleted files go. If, in fact, TRIM does turn out to work you have two options. Wait it out. IOW, eventually the deleted cells will be written to and suffer the erase then write penalty, but after that should perform as expected since the drive won't be ignoring the TRIM commands any more. Another option would be to perform a Tony-TRIM which should work with any SSD and will work even if the TRIM commands won't with your drive as a non-member disk on a RAID enabled controller.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64753

Well, it does appear that TRIM is enabled.
And I guess I'll just wait it. I shouldn't get hit with the penalty too many times; I've only had this thing for about a month :)

Back