• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie to watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heatsinkguy

Disabled
Okay i decided iam going to give watercooling a try. IAM A COMPLETLY NEWBIE AT WATERCOOLING.
Can anyone recommend a good kit that DOSENT cost over 150 bucks.
Also is there anything i can spray my computer with so incase a leak happens my component dont get damaged? If there is no spray is there any way to prevent damage from leaks?
thx, dave

If you PM mikeonatrike, he can help you temendiously. He can make you a homade waterblock for everything you need and point you to a good pump. As for the fan, the very best is this one:

http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Misc_Hardware/fans.asp

Its the Evercool Chrome 120mm Fan, and in my opinion it has teh best noise/cfm ratio of all. At 7v its silent and pushes 40+cfm, and at 12v its almost silent and pushes 80cfm.

As for a radiator, if you have the money just go to dtekcustoms.com and pick up one of the unpainted radiators. Its the same thing as the chevette heatercore, but it comes with barbs. It also outperforms most rads on the market.

Don't get a kit.
Read the watercooling stickies and that SHOULD be about all you need to know really, you can do watercooling for that price just fine.
As for leaking, I don't think spraying your system with somthing is practicle or necissary. If you really are worried tripple check everything 3 times, leaktest for days before and after you put it in your system and don't get a plexi topped block,

In my personal opinion, the Eheim 1250 is very reliable, but for pure performance get the mag3. Mikeonatrike's waterblocks are the BEST, and the chevette heatercore(aka dtek unpainted radiator) is very good too. Grab some cheap 1/2" ID tubing from a local hardware store, and some hose clamps. If you want, buy one of the criticool waterplant resoviors from aquastealth.com. Im sure you could save a little money here and there, but this is probably the easiest route to take.

Is there a spray to spray on the component to prevent damage if they is a leak? if there is no spray is there any way to prevent component damage because of leak?
Also iam new to watercooling....i need the whole kit not just a waterblock lol

The only difference between a kit and us telling you what to buy is the performance. Ours will be better. As for the spray, there is such a thing, but its used to stop condensation. I suppose it would stop a leak, but if you arent using phase change cooling your motherboard may overheat because its a very good insulator. FYI, Ive had a couple leaks(only from user error, not faulty hardware) and gotten my motherboard and videocard soaked before, but after drying them off they worked fine. Its not such a big deal.

EDIT: I dont use hoseclamps, and thats why I got the leak. I knocked my tubing off the barb to my cpu block.

Okay...
I have a P4P800 Deluxe motherboard with 3ghz cpu. I ONLY WANT TO COOL THE CPU.
I also have the ThermalTake Xaser III 1420U Case tower.

Can you tell me what to get and where to get it from? Also tell me if i need distilled waters. Iam planning to get it on thursday so please help me.

First, go to Dtekcustoms.com and purchase an unpainted radiator and an eheim1250 pump. Grab some cheap 1/2" ID tubing from a local hardware store, and some hose clamps. You dont need a resovior, but I recomend one, and the criticool powerplant from aquastealth.com is a good one. Finaly, the waterblock. I have several solutions depending on your price range. If you want the best for cheapest, PM mikeonatrike and get him to make you one. If you cant wait(it will take some time to make) then go ahead and get the whitewater P4 block from dtek.

EDIT: Almost forgot, also pick up a shroud kit from dtek. You will need one. You can make one for cheaper, but if you have the money you might as well get a snappy one from there.

How can it run without a resvoir and how does the water get in without 1 lol?

if i pm mikeonatrike will he make me the whole kit and how do i pay him?

I suppose mike could make you a kit. As for the res thing, you can take the top off of a res and fill it like that. It makes filling a LOT easier. You can run without a res by using a T in your line, but it will take hours to get all the bubbles out. I also just noticed that dtek has a radiator combo available, where you get both the core and the shroud, and save $5.

btw i dont know where hardware store is...where can i find some GOOD LEAK PROOF SUPER BENDABLE TUBING ONLINE?

You dont have an ace hardware or home depot near by? It would save you a lot of money if you did, as they have tubing for 30cents a foot. I believe usplastics.com has tubing, or you could buy that from dtek too.

if mike made me it how do i pay him?
I dont think the waterblock will work because i have no mounting holes.

You dont have mounting holes?!?! Its a P4 board!!How are you supposed to attach a heatsink? I think there are some waterblocks that can use the stock P4 thingy, but this complicates thing a lot. I suppose you could always "make" your own holes ;)

I have that black thingy around the socket and there is no holes....is there any waterblock that can use the black thingy around the socket?

you should be able to remove the socket retnetion black thingy on your board. take off your heatsink and see if you see 4 grey heads. if you do you can pry those up and remove them. then you flip the board over and push the black brackets through.

Heatsinkguy said:
I dont want to do that. Isnt there a waterblock that can use the black thingys?
All the decent ones I have seen use holes, weather for AMD or Intel. There may be some, however they probably suck.

Back