• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

will my ram overheat at 2.8volts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thenerd

hi! i'm oc'ing my 2500m@3200 with a generic samsung 512mb pc3200. i have already lowered its timings from 2.5-3-3-8 to 3-3-3-8. this is the only way i can get it to stablize in prime... Aside from this, i also have its voltage upped from 2.6-2.8v (2.8 being the highest my mobo can give me). Is this high voltage safe for long term use? or should i get heatsinks for it? (i don't like this cause i think it's absurd for a ram to need hs...)

my mobo temp ranges from 25-30c if this matters...

thx for all responses!

i run my ram at ~2.9v all the time for a nice speed boost (pc2300 to pc2700+) 2 of my sticks have heatspreaders, but those dont feel hot, and the un-sunk stick runs pretty cool. id say try it out and feel the ram for yourself, if it doesnt feel hot, it should be fine

no it won't, at least it shouldn't, unless the temps inside the case are overly high. if you volt-mod it and get it above 3.2v, then maybe...

Back