• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Setup, What do you think?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Motoxpro32s

Registered
here is the setup I was thinking of getting. I dont want to spend that that much money *not over 300$* so here it is:

CPU WaterBlock: Swiftech STORM Extreme Performance 1/2" ID Universal Water-block

GPU Waterblock: Acetal Version MAZE4GPU

Radiator: Black Ice XtremeII Radiator

Pump: Hydor L35

Tubing: Tygon Anti-Kink 1/2" ID (5/8" OD) Tubing

Fan(2): YS Tech 120x38mm Fan - 125CFM

Additives: Swiftech Green UV Reactive HydrX Coolant

T-Line: 1/2" UV Reactive Leakproof T Fitting

Motoxpro32s said:
Tubing: Tygon Anti-Kink 1/2" ID (5/8" OD) Tubing
Don't get the thinwalled tubing...it kinks quite easily.
Either get real 1/2"ID 3/4"OD stuff or move down to 7/16"ID tubing.

something bothers me here, you select the best blocks and then such a crappy pump. A hydor L35 is not a good fit for your setup. A MCP655 would do so much better because of the added pressure it can provide. Also if you do not want to spend the money on a BIXII then you can get a 1977 Pontiac Bonneville (with a/c) heatercore which would give you the same performance (you need a shroud though for it you can make it youself out of almost anything).

Ditto SB

The biggest benefit of the Storm block (if ya read the write-up on www.swiftnets.com) comes when you increase the flow. If you put a fairly weak (I had an L35) pump with it you get....almost exactly the same performance as a 6002 block. In short you would have spent that extra $40 for virtually no benefit. If money is issue then I would still go with a better pump and the 6002. If performance is the issue go with a MCP655/D5 pump so you can really see what that block can do. Its a great block.

What you have will indeed work. It will not however work nearly as well as it could. Think of it as buying a Corvette (the Storm) and then dropping in a Geo Metro engine. Yes the car will go but......will it really go?

From the money you seem to be putting into that system I would definitely kick that pump up a notch or two. You have some really nice performance parts held back by the pump you are selecting. The Hydor is a nice pump for a basic watercooling system but its not nearly a match for what you are putting in to the rest of that system especially with the additional restriction that GPU block is going to add.

clocker2 said:
Don't get the thinwalled tubing...it kinks quite easily.
Either get real 1/2"ID 3/4"OD stuff or move down to 7/16"ID tubing.

if its not kinking it doesnt matter, only need 1/8" walled stuff for REALLY tight bends.

The Storm will perform worse than a 6002 with that hydor pump. Like the others said, a better pump is neseccary. D5/mcp655 would be prefered.

Stay with 1/8" walled tubing.

Just an alternate tubing option....

Take a look at the 7/16" ID-5/8" OD tubing by Masterkleer. It runs $0.37 a foot in 25ft increments from Mcmaster.com and its pretty easy to work with. It does fit over 1/2" OD fittings with a little work but it has a nice tight bend radius. I suggest putting the end to be fit in some hot water for a few seconds and then it will slip right onto those fittings.

The really nice part is that if you are like me and have the urge to play when ya get your system setup initially you will have plenty of extra tubing for several runs at it. I tend to be big on tweaking so the extra tubing was useful ;)

Thanks guys, I appreciate all your help. Im tring to get a good system but not a crazy system, like I want really good parts but not the best because price is an issue. Im going to get the pump you guys suggested, MCP655, but im not sure I want the storm anymore. How much lower would my temps be between the storm and the 6002 with all the same parts (dif tubing) and a MCP655?

From what I've gathered from reading Cathar's posts, it won't be THAT much of a difference. He seems to hold the 6000 series from Swiftech in pretty high regards. I do know that he told me NOT to switch to the Storm (when he was making them) due to my using the MCP 350 pump. I'll give props for his honesty. Right now, though, good luck on getting ANY Swifty block besides the Storm- noone has them in stock :(

Back