• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Workin on LPX style 200Mhz fossil

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allute

Registered
Hey guys, I dug something up in our garage. Its an old Gateway GE4000 LPX style computer. Now I wanted a challenge so I'm going to come up with an interesting twist on this thing that will allow me to sell it for $100 without spending $100. Any of your ideas are welcome!
By the way... i'm looking for an ISA expansion card such as the Renaissance/370S. If anyone knows of a similar product, or has this or a smilar product for that matter, please contact me. I definately think this thing needs a performance overhaul, lol.
Oh, by the way, insults are also welcome... I feel like a moron just attempting this.

Just a quick list of some of the details I know about this computer.
Motherboard:
-Appears to be a Tyan Tomahawk
-Hardware Multiplier selector
-FSB 60-66Mhz
-Accepts Intel and KMD K6

CPU:
-Intel Pentium w/ MMX technology
-Socket 7
-200Mhz

HDD:
-I can't believe its a 2GB

If anyone has any spare parts for charity I'll gladly pay shipping charges.

I would put a little thermal paste on the heatsink and add a fan if it's passive, then bump up the multiplier to 3.5X for a blazing fast 233 MHz. I was getting a bunch of these type of computers given to me a couple years ago, so I fixed 'em up the best I could and donated them to needy folks.

I've bumped up the Multiplyer earlier and had no response from the system. It still registered a 200MHz CPU

And thanks for the warning bout the classifieds thing. I had no idea there was a classifieds on ocforums.com

You could get an AMD K62 400. set the multi to 2x and FSB to 66. 2x multi registers as a 6x when using >/= K62 400. So you'd have double the speed.

As far as that "Renaissance/370S" thing, performance would be horrible. You'd be better off finding a s370/slot1 LPX board.

Do you have any idea as to the type/amount of ram? I'm guessing it's probably simm ram, but could be dimm.

two slots of DIMM and I've got 36 MB in there which surprises the hell out of me because there are two sticks of memory in the slots... 16MB of PC66 each?

Right now I'm considering some basic case modding and selling it as an old school games machine. Only problem is, most of the games on this thing are already online as java games :p . Who knows, maybe I can manage to intall a NES Emulator and load up some roms. Any other suggestions?

Back