• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The diffrence some RAM can make!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JigPu

Inactive Pokémon Moderator
All I've got to say is WOW! Yesterday, my computer got an extra 128MB of RAM, and this thing is SO MUCH FASTER! This thing started out with 64MB, and after a clean boot was fresh out of RAM. The thing seemed to go fast, but now that the swapfile is rarely used, it's like greased lightning!!!

Before adding the extra RAM, it took about 30 seconds to log off the internet. Hard drive constantly being accesed. Now, it takes about 3 seconds!!
Descent 3 Demo would run at 30fps (at ABSOLUTE MINUMUM graphics quality) with a quick (appx. 0.5 sec.) freeze of the graphics every 10 seconds or so, and a longer (about 10 sec.) pause every minute. Everything just got worse in the middle of a big fight. Now, it runs at 30fps (at MAXIMUM quality), and rarely does even a quick pause!

I'M SO HAPPY!!!! 128MB MORE RAM SURE MADE A BIG DIFFRENCE FOR ME!!!
JigPu

What kind/speed RAM did you get? I updated from 64MB to 256MB, PC133... when I get back from a business trip next week, im going to order some good stuff like Mushkin or Crucial. :D

Well, since it was kinda a gift from my grandpa (I think), and I don't overclock this thing, it's nothing really good. PNY PC100 (with my wimpy Cele stuck in the days of PC66) at some unknow CAS value. Like I said, I don't (more like CAN'T) overclock this thing, and it was a gift, so what can you expect?!?!

WOOHOO!! I've got free RAM (in more ways than one :D :D )
JigPu

I can't overclock this (compaq) thing either. I am running @ pc100 though, so that is kinda good. The reason I tell you to run siSandra is since my pc went in for repair, I got a new mobo. The manual that came with my pc says that I can use a max of 384MB (128MB x 3) of ram, since running siSandra I found out that I can have a max of 768MB (256MB x 3), which is double which is why i'm stoked...Now I have to update WIN98SE to Win2K, so all the memory doesn't freak my 'puter out!!!

Running a computer with less than 128mb of ram is like using an old 1-barrel VW carb on a 426 Hemi :eek:

The memory sticks are very cheap now.
Just get as much as you can.
The ammount of ram always improves the pc's performance.

Performance wise 512Mb is nice but for my video work laughable. Just wish that those 512 sticks of RAM would come down that little bit more. Am seriously considering buying 3 at once as I run out off memory like no-ones buisness. I would be even happier if my MoBo supported 1Gb sticks.
Glad to hear that 128Mb boosted your performance JigPu:cool:

Yup! Hopefully, I can convince her to let me upgrade the rest of the pooter.... Yesterday I asked how much she was willing to spend on a CPU upgrade, and she said $50-$75... Somehow, she though I ment to upgrade MY CPU, so since I really meant the main computer's CPU, mabey she'll let me have a little more ;) .

BTW: Do P3s work in the same socket as Celerons? I think they do, and it would be rather like my ram upgrade.... Just take out the Celeron and put in the P3 (and of course set my FSB it's max of 100). Or am I wrong??

JigPu

What do you have Jig? A celey, or a P///? I know that there are a few P///'s that are slot1, like my P//, I'm getting one next week. The main problem would be the voltage, you have to be careful not to fry your new CPU.

I know what you mean about getting benefits from ram. I had 128mb of some random ghetto brand in my beast for a while then I upgraded to 512 mb of crucial pc2100 ddr and its SO MUCH FASTER. I got another 150 mhz out of my system. Talk about ram holding you back...

You've got to be kidding!!!

No one anywhere other than Afghanistan and Beijing should be running 64-128Megs of RAM right now!! That is unbelievable even to hear it. ROFL.

Thats like saying "I plugged my computer into the wall and you wouldn't believe how much faster it is, I don't even need the whiteout anymore!!"

beerchug.gif

mx-6* said:
Thats like saying "I plugged my computer into the wall and you wouldn't believe how much faster it is, I don't even need the whiteout anymore!!"
ROTFLMAO!!!

Yeah.... My computer sux.... We get a new one every 4 years, so they can get a LITTLE outdated :rolleyes: .

I've got a 466 Celeron at 66FSB (with only 66 and 100 as options), running a ASUS board that isn't on their site (darn HP!!), and I think has the 810 chipset (I'm using Intel 810 chipset graphics, so I think I should have an 810 chipset....). Does that help??

[EDIT] Forgot.... It's a socket... Not slot.

JigPu

Last edited:
Back