• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5N-E SLI a welcome surprise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
Last week I decided to try out a P5NE-SLI board instead of a p965 based board due to cost reasons for a replacement board for my e6300 system, since the 775i65G board just didn't have enough fsb headroom to do any justice to an e6300 because of it's low multiplier. This is for a dedicated crunching/folding rig, so for now it will only have an old pci Radeon 9250 vid card. Anyways, I got her up and running yesterday evening with some OCZ PC7200 SLI ram I bought here in the classies a few months ago and immediately bumped the fsb to 350 for the second bootup and everything went great. I went ahead and installed XP Pro and activated and updated everything then started playing around with it. One really nice feature is that you can decouple the fsb speed from the memory speed and get some really high fsb speeds with cheaper ram. Now the kit of ram I'm running isn't cheap but later I will do some testing of this with much slower ram speeds and looser timings and see how the board will handle this along with a high fsb overclock. But so far this board has been easy to set up and it's fsb overclocking is much better than my P5W DH can do. Right now I'm pushing that e6300 much harder than I was ever able to with the P5W DH and it's presently testing, running small fft's with Orthos at 475 fsb/3325 MHz. So far it's around 30 minutes into this run of Orthos at this speed with no problems.

The only mods I've done so far to the board are that I immediately removed the nb heatsink, cleaned off the grey tim and lapped the sucker flat, as it was way out of level with a few dips in it here and there.:eek: I then reinstalled it with AS Ceramique and also screwed a 40 X 20 mm fan down to it. For the southbridge which is naked, I had some old greenie nb sinks laying around from the old days of the BX chipset so I took one of those and modded it to where it would take the mounting bolt pattern around the sb. This required me to grind a corner of the sinks's fins down a little and drill another mounting hole, since the hole spacing around the sb was narrower than the spacing on the old sink, which was fairly easy to do. I then mounted the greenie as a sb sink using some spare plastic pushpins I had laying around.

The biggest problems I see with the board so far is that there are 2 tallish caps fairly close to the socket area and the mounting bracket of the Tuniq I'm using on it is tight up against them. But there is enough meat in the bracket to where I could remove a little material off the "H" bracket of the Tuniq for more clearance, but I didn't actually need to do this. The other big problem I see with the board is that it has a pretty horrendous vdroop. Right now at 3325 MHz, I have it set at 1.3875v in bios and at idle it is only showing as 1.344v at idle and that drops all the way down to 1.296v with Orthos running and loading both cores at 100%.

Now I've read of Nvidia based systems having problems with raid and such, but I won't be testing any of this since it's a dedicated number muncher and not an everyday use machine. But for this purpose the board looks to be an excellent, cost effective choice. It also looks to be a good choice for a build for someone who wants some bells and whistles but is on a fairly tight budget. The board has onboard 1394 and also has an e-sata port on the back too. And Newegg has now lowered the price of the board down to around $130, which makes it a pretty good bargain for it's features.

I'll be updating things every now and then as I run into them with this system. Also, if anyone has some links to some vdroop mods it would be appreciated. :D The vdroop is just terrible, but at least they give decent options in bios for both vcore and vdimm. Vcore goes to around 1.6v and also has a .1v booster selection in bios too. And vdimm should be adequate for most overclocking too.

I just finished 4 hours of small fft Orthos with no problems, so now I have it running some Seti BOINC wu's. I'll let it run that for a while then it will be time to go faster. :D

I have the P5N-E SLI running at 3300 mhz. my E6300 runs cool and performs extremly well. It is great for gentoo because you can compile stuff REALLY fast. Also SLI works under linux now so its just icing on the cake.

I couldn't stand it shortly after I last posted and went ahead and got her going a little faster. I just finished running Orthos for 2 hours of small fft's at 487 fsb and now I'll leave if running Seti overnight. Here's a cpu-z shot of where I'm at right now.

Attachments

• 3412 mhz.JPG
    3412 mhz.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,129
thats a good E6300

As far as my p5n-e, the highest it will boot is 496 but not stable up there.

brakezone, I don't know if you've done the mods to the nb and added a sb sink like I have, but if you haven't it's worth a try. I just bumped her up to 500 fsb about 1 1/2 hours ago and everything is looking great with running Orthos right now. BTW, I'm only running around 1.39v (or something like that, whatever is the second choice in bios) on the northbridge for these clocks.

Here is a screenshot I took after running a SuperPi 1M run after booting at 500 fsb:

First post in a few years, but I've been active on xtremesystems forum. Nice results. I've got the P5N-E SLI and I like it except for the awful vdroop, that and my NB gets too hot and causes random restarts. What vcore are you using for 3.5ghz? I had my e6300 in my Gigabyte S3 and it would do 3.7ghz at 1.5v but it was very unstable, but on this board I'm limited to 3530mhz and it won't do orthos without random restarts. What do you guys think?

Nice results btw.

edit: also, do you guys know of a new BIOS? The newest one I've been able to find is 402.

Last edited:
Hi PanteraGSTK, glad to see you posting here again. Right now I am back on the drilling rig at work, so I backed that my P5N-E system back down to 487.5 fsb for stability while I am at work for the next 2 weeks. Since I either fold or crunch Seti with my little farm, I usually have them backed down from their max overclocks for stability purposes. I just didn't have enough time at 500 fsb with this system to feel safe to leave it like that for 2 weeks away from it.

When I had it up to 500 fsb, I had the vcore set to where is was stabilized at around 1.408v at full load on the processor. And I agree that the vdroop is just awful on this otherwise nice board. Have you run across any vdroop mods for this board yet at xtreme or elsewhere? I'm also thinking of using a different nb cooler than the stock unit too on mine and see if that will help out if I run into stability problems at over 500 fsb.

As far as I know, the 0401 bios is the latest for this board I could find on the Asus website. Do you see anything different with the 0402 bios?

Last edited:
Well, on the P5N boards, there is a chip with a ">" on it, On my board, I had to bridge 1 and 4 together to help with the v droop. Im still experimenting atm, if you get me a picture of the chip I mentioned, Mud, I can maybe compare it to mine. If its the same(I have high doubts its any different) you can do the same thing I did.

Before 1.6 V in bios(max) = 1.4V in CPUZ

After 1.6V = 1.56 in CPUZ

muddocktor said:
Hi PanteraGSTK, glad to see you posting here again. Right now I am back on the drilling rig at work, so I backed that my P5N-E system back down to 487.5 fsb for stability while I am at work for the next 2 weeks. Since I either fold or crunch Seti with my little farm, I usually have them backed down from their max overclocks for stability purposes. I just didn't have enough time at 500 fsb with this system to feel safe to leave it like that for 2 weeks away from it.

When I had it up to 500 fsb, I had the vcore set to where is was stabilized at around 1.408v at full load on the processor. And I agree that the vdroop is just awful on this otherwise nice board. Have you run across any vdroop mods for this board yet at xtreme or elsewhere? I'm also thinking of using a different nb cooler than the stock unit too on mine and see if that will help out if I run into stability problems at over 500 fsb.

As far as I know, the 0401 bios is the latest for this board I could find on the Asus website. Do you see anything different with the 0402 bios?

I haven't tried 0401 yet (thought it was 0402) as I have the 307 or whatever came with my board. I've seen a few people with the 502 beta BIOS, but can't find it. I think my problem isn't the vdroop, I think my NB is getting too hot. You know of anybody with a hr-01 sli nb hsf from thermalright on this board? I want to get one, but don't want it to get in the way of my infinity. It already covers half the NB hsf that is already on there. I couldn't even play more than 30min of a DVD last night before it would freeze, then it was every few min. I like this board, but this is a real problem.

Glad to be back.

EDIT: I forgot about the vdroop mod. Here's a link to it. Let me know how it works.

Looked at the asus site and they have posted 602 BIOS.

P5N32-E SLI Release BIOS version 0602
1.Enhance compatibility with Conroe 1333MHz CPU.
2.Add support to n-Tune Voltage and Fan Speed control.
3.Fix Fan stops error when resume from S3 with nTUNE utility installed.
4.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

EDIT: Aww crap, just noticed I posted p5n32 instead of p5n-e sorry. it is still just 401.

Last edited:
Last night I lapped my cpu, put an HR-05 sli on the SB and NB, and pressure mounted my infinity. Now my OC in my sig is not possible. It refuses to boot at 500fsb now. No matter what voltage. Also it won't do an orthos blend for more than 30 seconds. What did I do? Help please. It never passed an orthos blend no matter what settings I used, stock or otherwise. Should I RMA this and use my S3? This sucks.

Have you tried booting at a slower speed and then monitoring temps on the processor? Maybe you have a bad mount on the Infinity this time. Also, check the mount on the northbridge too and make sure it is sitting flush with the nb slug. You might try removing that little square of spacer material from the stock nb cooler and applying it to the base of the hr-05 for the nb to help it sit flush. I know that you can remove it and replace it with a little patience as I removed mine to lap the nb base then replaced it. The sb shouldn't give you any problems since the chip is so big.

muddocker, when you have the time throw some screenies up, would love to see your bios tweaks plz

Back