• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5N-E SLI a welcome surprise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be around 4 days more before I get back in from the rig, C_K. I work a 14 day on, 14 day off schedule and right now I am finishing up the 14 day on the rig part of my schedule. This location isn't bad though as it is only about a 1 hour boat ride to where my car is parked and about another hour from there to the house.

I have this motherboard and have been very happy with it. This is my first “overclocking” motherboard and it makes my job of learning how everything works pretty easy. So far I have gotten my D920 stable up to 3.7 GHz, but she’s a little heat factory. My zalman cnps7700Cu does an OK job of keeping it cool, but just to be safe I run it at 3.5GHz for a daily overclock. Here in the next couple of weeks im going to be upgrading to a e43 or 6300 and would love to see your screen shots as well :)

muddocktor said:
Have you tried booting at a slower speed and then monitoring temps on the processor? Maybe you have a bad mount on the Infinity this time. Also, check the mount on the northbridge too and make sure it is sitting flush with the nb slug. You might try removing that little square of spacer material from the stock nb cooler and applying it to the base of the hr-05 for the nb to help it sit flush. I know that you can remove it and replace it with a little patience as I removed mine to lap the nb base then replaced it. The sb shouldn't give you any problems since the chip is so big.

I did the vdroop mod and it works much better now. I can boot all the way up to 512mhz fsb, and it is stable at 507fsb or 3548mhz. Thanks for your help. Also, HR-05's and pressure mounting my infinity helped my temps quite a bit. Now all we need is a new BIOS.

Got in from the rig yesterday and over the last weekend my daughter said that for some reason this rig wouldn't boot up, so I backed it down a little on the memory speed then booted it up OK. I went ahead and bumped the vdimm up a bit then started messing around with it and last night set it to 495 fsb and the ram speed at 1:1 and let it run Orthos about 5 hours. That was OK, so I decided to do a fast SuperPi run just for giggles:

495fsbiz7.jpg

I'll try taking some bios shots with my camera here in a little bit. :)

muddocktor said:
Got in from the rig yesterday and over the last weekend my daughter said that for some reason this rig wouldn't boot up, so I backed it down a little on the memory speed then booted it up OK. I went ahead and bumped the vdimm up a bit then started messing around with it and last night set it to 495 fsb and the ram speed at 1:1 and let it run Orthos about 5 hours. That was OK, so I decided to do a fast SuperPi run just for giggles:

495fsbiz7.jpg

I'll try taking some bios shots with my camera here in a little bit. :)

excellent I am looking forward to the bios shots when you have the time, something I myself have not had much of lately...

PanteraGSTK said:
New BIOS. Versoin 0505. ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N-E%20SLI/

After vdroop my "magic vcore" is 1.443v for 500fsb and 3500mhz. Perfectly stable.

See any notable changes with the new bios? Better stability or anything else that is improved? I definitely will have to do some kind of vdroop mod when I take it back down in a few days.

As for me, I have been fighting stability problems lately and I am convinced that they are heat related to the nb. I just ordered me an HR-05 for the nb today so I will be tearing the rig down when it comes in to install it and I also plan to add a decent video card too at that time. I can run for a few hours and then lose stability and the machine reboots and actually will go into a reboot loop until I shut it down long enough for something (the northbridge I'm pretty sure) cools down and then it is good for a while longer. So I will be holding off on bios shots until then as I am not stable yet at near 500 fsb frequency.

That's the same problem I was having. I put a HR-05 SLI on the NB and temps are fine now. Vdroop mod is the only thing that got me stable. That and the NB cooling.

My HR-05 came in this evening, along with a X1950 GT vid card, which I think I will throw into the Opty rig and use the X1950 Pro in this machine for benching purposes. I have been doing some experimenting while waiting for the cooler and vid card to come in and I have been able to boot at up to around 515 fsb and even run some 1M SuperPi benches before the heat on the nb would lock up the system. Once over 500 fsb, I found that I have to go really high on the nb voltage to get any kind of bootup ability at all. But I have been having fun doing it and even shaved over 3/4 second off my 1M SuperPi I posted here.

So I will be taking it down this evening and installing the HR-05 for sure. I will have to look at the vdroop mod and see what I will need to do that.

muddocktor said:
My HR-05 came in this evening, along with a X1950 GT vid card, which I think I will throw into the Opty rig and use the X1950 Pro in this machine for benching purposes. I have been doing some experimenting while waiting for the cooler and vid card to come in and I have been able to boot at up to around 515 fsb and even run some 1M SuperPi benches before the heat on the nb would lock up the system. Once over 500 fsb, I found that I have to go really high on the nb voltage to get any kind of bootup ability at all. But I have been having fun doing it and even shaved over 3/4 second off my 1M SuperPi I posted here.

So I will be taking it down this evening and installing the HR-05 for sure. I will have to look at the vdroop mod and see what I will need to do that.

For the vdroop mod, you need a pencil. I'd like to see what results you get after installing the HR-05.

question for you guys.

I have the P5N-E SLI, I have flashed to latest bios, and am running an E6300 on it. I know the chip is able to run 3.3 solid as that what it ran on my DS3.

However onthis P5N-E which I have not had a tonne of time to play with I am having issues above 2.974. Basically I have bumped the fsb to 1700 and all is fine with everything else on auto in bios. Soon as I up the vcore or vdimm the system will not post at 1750 or 1800. I have tried 1800 leaving all other settings at auto/default but no post.

I am running Gskill 2x1GB HZ series with 4,4,4,12 timings. Any thoughts on what I should be setting vcore/ nb vcore/vdimm to in bios and if I should manually select mem timings using 4,4,4,12,15 2T

I just want to get it stable to 3.2 and that is good enough. PSU is an Antec Neo HE550 , cpu cooler is Arctic Cooler same gear was run on the DS3

Some screenies of voltage settings and mem timings would be greatly appreciated.....

PanteraGSTK said:
here ya go. It is for 680i, but the timings work wonderfully for my p5n-e. This thread has what you want. Memory timings This thread for known problems and fixes.

Hope those help. Are you using linked mode or unlinked?

thanks for the links , I am using unlinked mode since it allows ram to operate independent of fsb, correct? Well I have tried linked with mem set to sync as well as auto, I am able to post at 3.15 with vcore at 1.393, vdimm at 2.085 and the nb at 1.393 but system restarts under any load... i gotta spend some time reading cause I know this chip is able to run 3.3 all day long under load, this board is more finicky then I expected and I am not even utilizing SLI lol

Last edited:
Cisco Kid said:
thanks for the links , I am using unlinked mode since it allows ram to operate independent of fsb, correct? Well I have tried linked with mem set to sync as well as auto, I am able to post at 3.15 with vcore at 1.393, vdimm at 2.085 and the nb at 1.393 but system restarts under any load... i gotta spend some time reading cause I know this chip is able to run 3.3 all day long under load, this board is more finicky then I expected and I am not even utilizing SLI lol

You need to up you nb volts. I bet that's what's holding you back. I have to max out voltage to get 500mhz fsb. 1.39v for the nb is only good for me up to 400mhz. Then I have to go up to 1.5Xv. and that usually gets me as far as 480mhz fsb. Then up to 1.7Xv for 500mhz+. I'm pretty sure if I did a vmch mod on this thing I'd be able to get back to 3.7ghz. 528fsb. That would make me very happy. I'm considering putting my S3 back in because I need to do the voltage mods to this board and that won't be easy inside the case.

Any body got any tips for soldering VR's to this board?

PanteraGSTK said:
You need to up you nb volts. I bet that's what's holding you back. I have to max out voltage to get 500mhz fsb. 1.39v for the nb is only good for me up to 400mhz. Then I have to go up to 1.5Xv. and that usually gets me as far as 480mhz fsb. Then up to 1.7Xv for 500mhz+. I'm pretty sure if I did a vmch mod on this thing I'd be able to get back to 3.7ghz. 528fsb. That would make me very happy. I'm considering putting my S3 back in because I need to do the voltage mods to this board and that won't be easy inside the case.

Any body got any tips for soldering VR's to this board?

Thanks for the tip, so I should up the NB voltage to 1.5xv, cause I will be happy running 1800FSB. I notice I am running the identical ran to you Gskill PC6400 HZ, but in a 2x1GB config. As far as the mem setting goes when using linked mode, should it be left in sync mode? I am going to have to look at some solution to cool the nb as well I assume. To run 1800 fsb will the HZ series run 4,4,4,12 2T ? BTW what dimm slots are you using as well and what are you shocking the ddr with?

Cisco Kid said:
Thanks for the tip, so I should up the NB voltage to 1.5xv, cause I will be happy running 1800FSB. I notice I am running the identical ran to you Gskill PC6400 HZ, but in a 2x1GB config. As far as the mem setting goes when using linked mode, should it be left in sync mode? I am going to have to look at some solution to cool the nb as well I assume. To run 1800 fsb will the HZ series run 4,4,4,12 2T ? BTW what dimm slots are you using as well and what are you shocking the ddr with?

Black slots, 2.35v. linked, unlinked makes no difference. At my voltage, I can run 4-3-3-4 timings.

so i got fed up with my abit board not booting correctly and got the p5n-e sli. besides the fact that memory settings had to be set manually to get it to boot with pc800, its working perfectly.

but i noticed that the temperatures seem to be read much higher than before. on my abit, the processor wouldn't throttle until it read around 64-65C. On this board it will start throttling around 85-86C. Did you guys notice this as well?

Hello all. I just got my P5N-E SLI a few days ago, with a Core 2 Duo E6400 and 2gb Corsair DDR2-800 with an nVidia 8800 GTS 320. I've been having some pretty big problems with any overclocking attempts.

First off, the only way I've found to change the FSB speed is under the "Jumper-Free Configuration" menu, turning "AI Tuning" to manual, and then going to "FSB & Memory Config" menu.

If I change the FSB-Memory Clock Mode to Unlinked, my system can't boot into windows, even if I leave the clock speeds untouched. If I link them, and change the ratio at all, or even change the FSB clock, it only lets me change it from 1066, instead of the 4xx MHz you guys are showing...

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a COMPLETE novice when it comes to overclocking, and I've been reading about different boards and CPUs for a couple months and wanted to play with it, but I can't even get that far yet it seems.

If I change the clock (Labeled "FSB (QDR), MHz") to anything other than 1066 MHz, it will not boot into windows. If I enable the AI Overclocking, and then tell it to overclock by 5%, it will not only fail to boot, but will not even POST until I manually clear the CMOS.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for humoring my ignorance as well! I'm always thrilled to learn something new and this seems like the place to do so.

Thanks again!

Back