• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Network Install is born...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, so after trying various things and getting errors in the tenth line many times, I finally got the error of network path not found with certain inputs... so the .vbs code is working with my alteration ("winnt://tree/branch/leave/workgroup"), however the input I'm using is accurate but incomplete I believe. Getting closer maybe, I'll keep you updated.

IMOG, the following is more of an explanation to keep anybody who is interested in the loop. My apologies for repeating myself or explaining things that I'm sure you understand completely, but I figure it's better to over explain and let others understand where you and I are spinning of into than have our own private network admin convo. :D

Make sure you have a temp directory on your C: drive. I've had four questions, one of which here in the thread, about the error from the vbs output not having a place to put the computer.txt file.

I'm not sure if an IP address would work or not... Hmmm, lets look at the .bat file... Here's the first command line:

for /f "delims=," %%I IN (computer.txt) DO sc.exe \\%%I stop FAH

It sets the variable %%I to be what ever is first listed in the computer.txt file and then tells it to execute (DO) sc.exe (M$'s command line service management program) to stop the service FAH on the computer under the path of \\%%I.

I'm thinking that %%I could be the whole darn \\forest\trees\branches\leaf-1 path, so you'd have to make sure the computer.txt file was filled with all of that info.

eg, the computer.txt file would look like:

\\forest\trees\branches\leaf-1
\\forest\trees\branches\leaf-2
\\forest\trees\branches\leaf-3

Or...

In the .bat file you could change the command line parameters to include the whole path. Take, for example, the first command in the .bat file listed above would now be written like this:

for /f "delims=," %%I IN (computer.txt) DO sc.exe \\forest\tree\branch\%%I stop FAH

Essentially, somewhere the whole path has to be written, but I'm not sure where.

Furthermore, IF you can access all these computers by IP, you *might* be able to use those as you mentioned above.

I'd suggest trying to use sc.exe on a remote computer via the cmd prompt and IP address and see if it works.

eg... in the cmd prompt, cd to a directory that contains a copy of sc.exe and type:

sc.exe 192.168.***.*** stop FAH

and see what happens.

Let me know what how it goes.

Don't forget guys to get permission first before you deploy this monster.

I have my LAN set up where we each have read only access to other computers but not write. So this shouldn't work in my LAN. I did this to slow down propagation of virus spead from one machine to the others. Not everyone in my household is a savvy computer user. :rolleyes:

Audioaficionado said:
Don't forget guys to get permission first before you deploy this monster.

I have my LAN set up where we each have read only access to other computers but not write. So this shouldn't work in my LAN. I did this to slow down propagation of virus spead from one machine to the others. Not everyone in my household is a savvy computer user. :rolleyes:

you said shouldn't...did it?

I think they've calmed down. They're worried about someone unleashing a virus-like install that blows out to entire networks without permission. Totally understand, just wish they would have talked to me first.

Thanks MLMIB, I appreciate it.

Audioaficionado said:
I wonder how many of them grabbed a copy for themselves :p

LOL!

Yup, I can see it:

"This program is dangerous..."

click, click, download...

"It should be regulated and watched..."

click, save to pen drive...

:D

It all seems ok now though. I'm going to remove the FAH502-Console.exe from the zip file and let people download their own copy from Stanford. That will make it totally compliant.

Sorry to have caused you all this trouble Wedo.... but as we all know there are loads of over precautious poeple out there, it was bound to happen I guess. I'm glad it worked out though :)

BTW, have you guys noticed out teams production has been up a little? Perhaps because of this? :D

JDXNC said:
Sorry to have caused you all this trouble Wedo.... but as we all know there are loads of over precautious poeple out there, it was bound to happen I guess. I'm glad it worked out though :)

BTW, have you guys noticed out teams production has been up a little? Perhaps because of this? :D

No sweat, it's all settled down now and I even scored two great benefits from the whole thing.

1. I received a very nice PM from Dr. Vijay "Folding God" Pande himself thanking me for posting and clearing up the issue. He also thanked me for my contributions to folding and the big bonus, he wants my input on a new installer they are working on for v6. w00r!

2. This guy posted a URL that has a nifty command line proggy that will download the new client from Stanford. I can use this in the batch file for the Deployer and the One-Click so they will both be EULA compliant.

Besides, how did you cause me grief, it was a guy named "Cprossu" that first brought it up, which I completely understand. I thought it was just odd that I have yet to receive any heat for the One-Click and this Deployer is just an updated version of one that has been available for over a year from OCAU.

/me goes to dungeon to create new installer monsters....

bwahahahahaha

Wedo said:
1. I received a very nice PM from Dr. Vijay "Folding God" Pande himself thanking me for posting and clearing up the issue. He also thanked me for my contributions to folding and the big bonus, he wants my input on a new installer they are working on for v6. w00r!

w00r! indeed! That is one nice "contact" you have made there :attn:

Mo p0wa t0 dA F0LD! :D

:clap: hi - thought I'd better return the favour & register here. Darn, another site to read every day, :p

I'm sure you've read my response (WW on my the FC site) about you & your work, Wedo, hope it's ok :)

My experience is that Vijay tries hard to get the science done first and foremost, but he does listen to the community mostly. It might take a while but since the Folding Community was started, there has been a lot of progress. V5 client with the service installer support (finally :drool: ) and hopefully V6 will yet again make more progress at that side of things, by the looks of it with your input as well.

Not sure how you got involved with folding but if you're like most you probably either had others folding already and got into it a bit, and then over time, it kinda got addictive :rolleyes: - bit like for me, hehe

It's good to have supporters like yourself who try to do the right thing, and finetune it as required, and keep up the good work!

If you like, feel free to drop a post in the 3rd party contributions forum section with some links to where to read up on it and/or download it if you like, spread the word :)

Thanks,

WW

FAH_WW is a regular poster over at the folding forums for Stanford. Good guy, good folder.

There's a problem with the Deployer when applying it to networks with a domain. Seems I've found some permission issues with running a registry merge from the command prompt over the network.

I'll figure it out and post when it's fixed.

Back