• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP install problems, SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrBlonde

I just got a new Seagate 200GB SATA HD and when I hook it up to my current setup I can use it/see it and whatnot. My problem is, I want to install windows XP on it and use it as my primary drive, but when I try and install windows with just the SATA drive connected it says that no hard drive is detected. So I can use the hard drive as a backup to my IDE hard drive but can't seem to set up windows on it. Anyone have an idea as to why this is?

thanks

No I don't believe I am installing SATA drivers during setup. I'm not sure how to do that...how would I go about doing this?

as for system specs I have an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard, Seagate Baracuda SATA HD

You'll need to get the SATA controller drivers onto a floppy.

once windows XP goes to a blue text screen, you'll see at the bottom of the screen a message saying press F6 to install additional drivers. Press F6, then insert the floppy into the drive and continue to follow the instructions on the screen.

they should be on your motherboard disk.

Asus usually includes a makedisk utility which should make the disk require to install the SATA driver.

Otherwise, the readme is pretty good.

I am having the exact same problem as MrBlond, and I have the exact same HD. The only difference is that I have an Asus AN78X-E-Del. MB. My MB disk doesn't have a make disk utility, or if it does I can't find it. Even worse, I have been all over the Asus site looking for directions to get the SATA drivers on a floppy. I do have the drivers installed on my old HD. Any suggestions? I am really, really lost.:(

P.S. the read me files that I found wern't any help at all.

Back