• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

x3220 vs q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

claudiuso

Registered
Hi,
I wasn't able to really find a good comparison between these two chips so I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a better understading of why they would choose one over the other especially since they are priced about the same.

Excuse my ignorance but I'm not looking for explanations suck as "better chips go into xeons" as I've already seen numerous so called explanations and all they do is produce more confusion amongst people such as myself who are just looking for a straight to the point answer. I'm in the market for a new quad core and I would like to be able to pick one based on valid comparisons.

Thanks,
Paul

There is no real difference between to the two afaik. Choose the one that you can get the cheapest.

the truth is, they are the same. really. :) i know, it doesn't make sense to me either.

Thanks for the quick replies.

So then the only real advantage of a x3220 is that I could build a dual quad setup if I decided to spend a little extra money?

Paul

if you want a dual quad then you have to start looking at lga 771 cpu's. they are more money i think.

771 boards are much more costly the lga775's. another thing though is the FB-dimm's needed for the 771's is slightly higher then ddr2 atm. the downside to fb-dimm is they generate alot more heat since they have a unfied buss and the interface is handled by a controller on the dimm itself. so you could down the line when they are offered go from a FB-dimm ddr2 to a FB-dim DDR3 ram.

*edit*
o snap this post turned me white!

Last edited:
Back