• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help diagnose Blue Screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

big_mike

Hi guys and girls, can you please help me diagnose a blue screen that I started getting a few months ago. It happens when I leave my computer on for extended periods of time, usually more than 12 hrs. Everything in the BIOS is at default. Here is my setup:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 at factory clock
RAM: 12GB Corsair XMS3 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX 285 at factory clock
PSU: Corsair HX1000

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	BlueScreen
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:	7a
  BCP1:	0000000000000020
  BCP2:	FFFFFFFFC000009D
  BCP3:	FFFFFA800C733078
  BCP4:	0000000000000000
  OS Version:	6_1_7600
  Service Pack:	0_0
  Product:	256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\032711-22963-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Mihail\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-44725-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Thank you for the fast response TempliNocturnus.

To be honest I can't recall what the last bugcheck code was. Last time I had this issue happen was about 3 weeks ago. I did not save the problem information that windows returned, stupid move on my end :(

The XML and DMP files can be downloaded form here

What software would you recommend that I use to diagnose the hard drive and RAM?

For testing your hard drive, I recommend either Western Digital Data Lifeguard or Seatools for DOS. Use the bootable CD versions of these programs to get the best results.

You can use the event viewer to find out whether all the other bugchecks were 7a; just filter all events with the source "Save dump". Based on the mini dump you posted, the problem looks to be page file/hard drive related. Your hard drive could be going bad, causing corruption in within your page file. So, you should definitely test your hard drive.

no doubt its the hardrive, run some scan to check the integrity of teh drive and try some repair utilities to fix the corrupted sectors, if that doesnt work you could always back up everything and replace the drive.

Just checked all the bugchecks were 7a. Just downloaded the Western Digital Data Lifeguard DOS (CD). I'll run it and post the results.

I have 2 hard drives, both are Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1tb. One is the primary os and the other one is backup/vm ware files. Would you guys recommend moving away from WD? These drives are no older than 2 years and already starting to give problems :( If I have to get a new hard drive I am thinking of getting 2 500gb and doing a RAID1 Array. I've heard that 500gb drives are more reliable.

Ok, I did diagnostics on both drives. All tests passed. Really confused :(

I'll do the windows scan disk tonight and see how it turns our.

can you do a ram check incase we are incorrect in saying its your HDD's memtest is a good program for it

Memtest returned no errors... :(

Runnung scandisk tonight.

Should I try bios update? I haven't updated it since I bought the motherboards, because it was not recommended to do so if everything was running right. I haven't added or upgraded any hardware since I built this computer.

You could try a BIOS update, but it's probably not necessary. It's only when you leave the computer alone for 12 hours? Not when you're doing something demanding with it, like playing a game? If that's the case, it's probably not overstressed hardware.

You can run a chkdsk to see if the Windows install disk is corrupted. You may also want to defrag if you don't do that regularly. When is your computer scheduled to sleep and/or hibernate? It's possible the problem occurs when the computer tries to change power states.

After you run chkdsk, do a virus scan with a good AV program (like Antivir) and do a malware scan with something like Spybot S&D. Then, make sure Windows updates are applied and update all of your drivers. Sounds silly, but it it'll establish a good baseline. Also, install the latest version of Intel RST if you haven't done so already.

Yeah, if it's that consistent (every 12 hours or so), it's probably software related. Since the minidump references your page file, I'm curious to see whether the issues go away if you set the page file to reside on another hard drive. You do this by going to System properties, Advanced, Performance settings, Advanced, then Change Virtual memory settings. Set no page file on the primary drive and a system managed size page file on one of your other drives.

An export of your System and Application event logs might also be of some help. Do you remember installing any new hardware, drivers, or software prior to these BSOD's occurring?

The other thing to do is to try to reproduce this on demand. On a freshly booted system, try running continuous benchmarks from a benchmarking suite such as Sandra Lite and see whether any test in particular triggers the BSOD.

You could try a BIOS update, but it's probably not necessary. It's only when you leave the computer alone for 12 hours? Not when you're doing something demanding with it, like playing a game? If that's the case, it's probably not overstressed hardware.

You can run a chkdsk to see if the Windows install disk is corrupted. You may also want to defrag if you don't do that regularly. When is your computer scheduled to sleep and/or hibernate? It's possible the problem occurs when the computer tries to change power states.

After you run chkdsk, do a virus scan with a good AV program (like Antivir) and do a malware scan with something like Spybot S&D. Then, make sure Windows updates are applied and update all of your drivers. Sounds silly, but it it'll establish a good baseline. Also, install the latest version of Intel RST if you haven't done so already.

Ok I was able to run chkdisk returned no errors as well.

I check the fragmentation on the drives weekly, checked them again this morning I have 1% or less fragmentation.

I have disabled sleep and hibernation modes because sometimes I have to remote desktop (using LogMeIn) from work or if I am way on the weekends.

All windows updates should be installed (I'll double check tonight). I did an virus scan with Avast and ran Spyware Terminator as well. I will give it a try with the programs you recommended as well.

I'll double check if I have the most up to date drivers and Intel RST tonight as well.

Yeah, if it's that consistent (every 12 hours or so), it's probably software related. Since the minidump references your page file, I'm curious to see whether the issues go away if you set the page file to reside on another hard drive. You do this by going to System properties, Advanced, Performance settings, Advanced, then Change Virtual memory settings. Set no page file on the primary drive and a system managed size page file on one of your other drives.

An export of your System and Application event logs might also be of some help. Do you remember installing any new hardware, drivers, or software prior to these BSOD's occurring?

The other thing to do is to try to reproduce this on demand. On a freshly booted system, try running continuous benchmarks from a benchmarking suite such as Sandra Lite and see whether any test in particular triggers the BSOD.

I wouldn't say it's consistent, but when I would get the blue screen my computer usually has been on for 12+ hours. Usually there is no load, since I keep it on if I have to remote desktop to it.

I will change the drive where the page file resides as suggested as well as the back to back benchmarking. The thing is that I never have this issue while gaming, video encoding, 3d rendering, running vmachines etc. Its always when the computer has been at idle for a while, aprox. 12 or more hours.

This morning another idea came to my mind. I remember reading, a member here if I am not mistaking, was trying to do a raid array with 2 WD drives. I my memory serves me right they were the caviar black. He way saying the one of the drives (in not both) would drop out of the array due to power saving or stand by feature that WD has on their drives. So I was thinking is it possible that the secondary drive I have to be going in power saving mode since the OS might not be reading/writing to it for the extended periods of time that the computer is on, which might lead to a blue screen? Its just an idea, want to see if you guys think this might be a possible cause.

Thank you all very much for the help so far :salute:

This morning another idea came to my mind. I remember reading, a member here if I am not mistaking, was trying to do a raid array with 2 WD drives. I my memory serves me right they were the caviar black. He way saying the one of the drives (in not both) would drop out of the array due to power saving or stand by feature that WD has on their drives. So I was thinking is it possible that the secondary drive I have to be going in power saving mode since the OS might not be reading/writing to it for the extended periods of time that the computer is on, which might lead to a blue screen? Its just an idea, want to see if you guys think this might be a possible cause.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking. That was why I recommended installing the newest RST and other Intel controller drivers. You *shouldn't* have that problem if your drives aren't in RAID (I don't run RAID anymore due to that problem) but it's possible that Windows loses track of a drive and freaks out.

Ok all drivers are up to date as well as the Intel RST. I have adjusted the page file setting per TempliNocturnus' instructions. No viruses or malware detected.

Now reboot and bench for several hours and see if that will cause a blue screen after that idle for the rest of the night and all day tomorrow.

This morning everything was fine. No blue screen, 3 hrs of benching had been successfully completed with out errors. I just remote controlled to it, so far so good :) I'll give you guys another update tonight when I get home.

Still no blue screen :) Will be on all night. Finail update tomorrow. If everything is normal I think we can assume that the issue might be that it was with the page file drive.

That would confuse me. Why shouldn't the pagefile be on the system drive? If you put it on the other drive, now you have more things that can go wrong, not less. I really don't think that's it - I would look to the Intel RST and chipset drivers first. *shrug*

To be honest I am kind of confused as well lol. The only explonation that I can come up behind my reason with the page file drive is that it had "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box checked. So I am thinking the when windows would try to access some of the data on the secondary drive, which might be at powersave mode, it would freak out and throw a blue screen. Right now I set only the primary drive to be used for pagefile.

I might not be right, I mean it could still be an issue or some sort of conflict going on with the Intel RST, but yesterday I double checked if all my drivers are up to date and sure everything was. Or it could be a software issue as TempliNocturnus suggested. I am still scratching my head on this lol.

Back