• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For everyone looking for a great deal on PSUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
There's a difference between a good deal and just plain cheap. I see a lot of threads where people stray from recommended, well-reviewed models in favor of something that costs less money.

Tom's posted a review of three ultra cheap power supplies, and yes, they literally explode:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

It's a good reminder to all of your first-time PSU shoppers. By contrast, my Seasonic S12 has lasted me long past its five-year warranty and it's still going strong. I think it cost about $100 when I bought it, which makes it an awesome deal.

There's a difference between a good deal and just plain cheap. I see a lot of threads where people stray from recommended, well-reviewed models in favor of something that costs less money.

Tom's posted a review of three ultra cheap power supplies, and yes, they literally explode:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-power-supply,2862.html

It's a good reminder to all of your first-time PSU shoppers. By contrast, my Seasonic S12 has lasted me long past its five-year warranty and it's still going strong. I think it cost about $100 when I bought it, which makes it an awesome deal.

Johan,

A perfect example and the subject of many discussions here over the years. I can relate to your Seasonic with my little
Corsair HX520 (Seasonic OEM) that passed 5 years "in service" this past January. Thank you for finding and posting that URL.

PS: I just checked my 12V rails again with my DMM:

Idle: 12.10V
Load: 11.96V

Been the same for more than 5 years..........it's just how Seasonic makes them. :thup:

I'll have to bust out my DMM as well, so we can start a "how close are your rails" bragging rights thread. :)

We all have seen it many times. People build a $1000.00 and up computer and put a $39.95 power supply in it. I also believe in a couple hundred watts extra than what you need. If you get just what you need you are working that power supply at it's top end. Their for lots of heat and in most cases a lot of fluctuation. Never treat you computer to a low quality power supply. Their are many quality power supplies. I have chosen Corsair AT- 850 for my next build. A bit $$$$ but my computer is worth it.

. I also believe in a couple hundred watts extra than what you need.
It's good to have a bit of headroom, but people here routinely get a LOT more than they need. I'd wager the majority of systems around here would be fine with a quality ~500w unit, and only multi-GPU setups would really need a 700w+ system. If you're getting 100-200w more capacity than your actual draw, great. Just don't get 400w more. :)

OFN (not the article, but the message), but still incredibly valuable information! Thanks for the fresh article and bump of the concept of not cheaping out on your PSU!

Back