• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel’s Haswell Could Be Last Interchangeable CPU *Unsubstantiated Rumor*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I give it 3 days if they lock this thread before somebody made a new one just like it...Shoot, this may happen anways :(

Get the tinfoil hat :chair:

There is a site I am on that locks stuff so quickly and indiscriminately that they would had to have locked this over 100 times. They do that though. I have seen topics that they wanted locked down that the literally had to lock 10+x a day.

So whoever said it is correct you lock this thread and 10 more will pop up in its place. Hell you might as well feature it so people don't make more of it.

The BGA process would logically begin with the mass produced HP/Dell/etc desktop computers. Once that kicks off - all bets are off.

Hmm...

The more and more I think about it, BGA or something similar would be the next logical evolution. I imagine a similar relationship to the one between Nvidia and it's partners. Intel provides the chips and several reference specs, while the motherboard vendors provide the PCB and any extra fancies, or power stuff, or whatever - and a soldered Intel chip.

Right away, there would be cost savings due to the simplicity of design and reduction of materials (gold included).

BGA could potentially remove Intel from the retail aspect of their CPUs, a potential for additional cost savings. It's possible that the subtle surrender of control by Intel could eventually undermine Intel's profit margin potential. Based on competition however from ARM - Intel might already be preparing for a race to the bottom when it comes to performance/$/watt-hour. Such a race would be beneficial to humankind, but it will probably also be terrible for Intel's now-fantastic margins.

Motherboard vendors would all gladly jump on for the ride. They're all always desperate for revenue and will likely cave to whatever Intel's demands, while passing most of the profit margin right along. Many of which are ahead of the game, producing tablets while HP and Dell fumble around. I for one can't wait to see the day that HP and Dell aren't in the PC biz anymore.

I think as our ideas of computers change (imagine in 10 years, your phone having the power as that OC'd benching desktop clunking about below you does), most people will have no need for a huge tower.

Look at Anandtech's recent review of an "Industrial form factor PC", the thing is friggin' awesome, but more importantly it can do what 95% of people want to do on their PCs: A/V, Internet, Email, Word, Basic Gaming (it should be able to run SC2 albeit on Medium)

All you need is for MSFT to make the next Xbox either: x86 or ARM compatible (it has to be) and BOOM. All the kids that grew up using PCs, like us, for gaming (while usually their parents used it for work) and eventually building their own later on are now suddenly going down much different paths. The avenue for PC enthusiast is slowly being choked off.

Still, I am skeptical about how drastically, or completely the PC market will decline (laptops/tablets/phones still can't touch the raw power of a home PC), and once they get GPUs and CPUs working together ... there are a whole bunch of unknown places this race can go in terms of performance.

Based on the market and it's immense profitability for Intel, (man, don't they make around 60% per chip we buy... ownt?) I think it's unlikely to change within the next 3 chip cycles. Intel is still supporting and developing for x86 (e.g. Thunderbird, PCI-E 3.0), they started a chip warranty scheme for SB and beyond chips that is marketed almost exclusively for enthusiasts. It also costs them little or nothing to maintain the ATX standard and they can turn its development over to the open source community if they wanted and just make chips that fit in sockets.

Hell they have Windows on ARM now, why couldn't AMD could just as easily start filling the void by making ARM based CPU desktops.... or maybe that's just crazy talk. I doubt Intel hates us and their 60% margin that much to abandon us anyways!

Intel would never give up their chip/board sales your crazy to even think that.

If anything they would cut out the 3rd party's before they let that happen.

And i could see them actually phasing 3rd party's out if they go down this road they already have a pretty extensive lineup from low to "high" end.

Back