• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I did not buy the new i5/7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SBs that hit 5GHz still aren't particular common.

If you look at Anandtech's recent article on CPU usage in games...a 2500K is more than enough unless you're going with 3 or more GPUs.

+1. This upgrade isn't for everyone. :shrug:

But to everyone saying that Haswell doesn't clock high enough to beat ivy... there have been numerous benchmark world records using ivy at nearly 6.9ghz, which got torn to shreds by a ~6.2ghz Haswell.

I can hit 5.5 on my Ivy under an H100I. I will not be upgrading to the Haswell Platform for my gaming computer. Just on the basis of mine Overclocks better then i bet a Haswell would. Then again i have good luck with any processor and how far they overclock. I always win in the silicon lottery... Hehe. In the end though. No i do not think Haswell is worth it. You could get decent enough performance from an Ivy, or even a Sandy.

I can hit 5.5 on my Ivy under an H100I. I will not be upgrading to the Haswell Platform for my gaming computer. Just on the basis of mine Overclocks better then i bet a Haswell would. Then again i have good luck with any processor and how far they overclock. I always win in the silicon lottery... Hehe. In the end though. No i do not think Haswell is worth it. You could get decent enough performance from an Ivy, or even a Sandy.

CPU yes system wide Haswell is a winner for many users. I am going to definitely get one but it will not be an i5 or 7.

Lol, that would definitely show a performance increase!

For what I normally do on this rig I doubt the CPU would matter. Throughput and transfer speed matter on my daily driver. Now my i5 IB @4.8 could use a pick me up but honestly there aint much out there on air much faster for my applications except the SB-E.

SBs that hit 5GHz still aren't particularly common.

If you look at Anandtech's recent article on CPU usage in games...a 2500K is more than enough unless you're going with 3 or more GPUs.

I looked at all the benchmarks and the difference from SB-IB-Haswell was insignificant even with 3 GPUs and sometimes the IB beat Haswell insignificantly.

The numbers are so tight margin of error could be part of the play with the highest performing CPUs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-/5

I'm surprised Archer, not from a performance standpoint, but by the fact you're not jumping at the chance to play with adaptive vcore. ;)

I was "planning" to upgrade until the numbers came out.

So now I probably just sidegrade for the i7 hyperthreading just for the sake of a new toy

But then again running P95 in a hot room in summer is hot and boring

I'm surprised Archer, not from a performance standpoint, but by the fact you're not jumping at the chance to play with adaptive vcore. ;)

Scheduling, time, money and other priorities are keeping me from much of anything PC related. When I have the money I don't have the time. When I have free time I have other things that take precedence.

Back