• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts on Dragon Age Inquisition?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdyoung1985

Know it was just released, but wondering who out there has been playing it, and has a moment they are here not playing, honestly I know if I had it, I wouldn't be on here for a few days... Really looking forward to getting my copy, pre-ordered it, but money is tight for the next week :-(

Know it was just released, but wondering who out there has been playing it, and has a moment they are here not playing, honestly I know if I had it, I wouldn't be on here for a few days... Really looking forward to getting my copy, pre-ordered it, but money is tight for the next week :-(

I'm downloading now from Origin. reviews have been great so I'm looking forward to it.

seems decent so far, about an hour in. I am having a very annoying audio issue though that might stop me from playing. Music/Voices come in just fine, but once every 10-20 seconds environmental sounds will cut in and out for a few seconds.

seems decent so far, about an hour in. I am having a very annoying audio issue though that might stop me from playing. Music/Voices come in just fine, but once every 10-20 seconds environmental sounds will cut in and out for a few seconds.

Do you have surround sound? I've had similar issues with other games when using surround sound, can use the speakers in stereo, but they were weird in 5.1... Just a thought

Do you have surround sound? I've had similar issues with other games when using surround sound, can use the speakers in stereo, but they were weird in 5.1... Just a thought

M using headphones. I have audio set to both headphones and stereo in game and on system. I tested it over hdmi to my tv and 5.1 system. Same issue. I tried all options. It is just having issues with sound effects only. Not music not dialogue. Just effects. Ever few seconds it loses that audio for few seconds. I just bought a sound card..hope it fixes it other wise unplayable to me

M using headphones. I have audio set to both headphones and stereo in game and on system. I tested it over hdmi to my tv and 5.1 system. Same issue. I tried all options. It is just having issues with sound effects only. Not music not dialogue. Just effects. Ever few seconds it loses that audio for few seconds. I just bought a sound card..hope it fixes it other wise unplayable to me

They might have a patch for it already, but I'd rather doubt it, have you googled it to see if others are having the same problem?

Performance wise, I'm having issues with cutscenes. When gameplay switches to a cutscene, there's a few seconds of lag and then some audio stuttering. This seems to be a known issue which I'm sure will be addressed very soon. Gameplay itself is great. Running the new AMD driver with x-fire profile, I get really smooth gameplay.

Huge plus is the ability to jump & explore off the trail areas. Environments look good and battles seem like an improvement over 1 & 2. Almost anything is an improvement over two, so it's more fair to compare this one to Origins. I'm about 1.5Hrs in and I'm happy with it, minus the cutscene stuttering but gameplay is great. I'm a Dragon Age Origins fan so this is definitely what I was looking for in a DA game. If I come across anything else, I'll post up in here, but so far I'd say this a buy if you like DA Origins or these types of RPG's.

This really sounds like a settings issue. What audio card is it? Drivers up to date? You're positive Audio is set to stereo in windows control panel? Can also check to see where the audio quality is set to (24bit, 96KHz, etc) and try to lower/raise and see how it responds.

Last edited:
This really sounds like a settings issue. What audio card is it? Drivers up to date? You're positive Audio is set to stereo in windows control panel? Can also check to see where the audio quality is set to (24bit, 96KHz, etc) and try to lower/raise and see how it responds.

Very sure. I even tested it through my tv and ,5.1 over hdmi, same issue

Here's a fix for the stuttering:

If your copy of Dragon Age: Inquisition stutters a lot, it might be because there’s a default cap of 30FPS. You can increase that by creating a shortcut to the game launcher (the .exe file) and add the following line to the end:

“-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+”

Go to the game folder, right click on the .exe, create shortcut. Place shortcut on desktop. Right-click the new .exe, and in the box, space over all the way to the right, then paste the above.

Very sure. I even tested it through my tv and ,5.1 over hdmi, same issue

What sound card? latest driver installed? Are you sure that cpu is supported? Graphics card is fine.

Last edited:
Here's a fix for the stuttering:

If your copy of Dragon Age: Inquisition stutters a lot, it might be because there’s a default cap of 30FPS. You can increase that by creating a shortcut to the game launcher (the .exe file) and add the following line to the end:

“-GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+”

Go to the game folder, right click on the .exe, create shortcut. Place shortcut on desktop. Right-click the new .exe, and in the box, space over all the way to the right, then paste the above.

What sound card? latest driver installed? Are you sure that cpu is supported? Graphics card is fine.

onboard sound, though I did buy a card today from newegg to see if there is any change. Specs are in sig. I meet all the even recommended requirements except for CPU, which is above minimum, as recommended is 6 core.

and yeah, its all up to date and all that stuff.

onboard sound, though I did buy a card today from newegg to see if there is any change. Specs are in sig. I meet all the even recommended requirements except for CPU, which is above minimum, as recommended is 6 core.

and yeah, its all up to date and all that stuff.

Update:

Sound card came in, I ordered a Asus Xonar Gaming Sound card. Issue still persists. I am at a total loss.

edit:

here is an example. Listen to the wind sound, you can still hear music playing even when this sound cuts out. I tried doing a video of other stuff, like fire inside a house and combat sound, but with no music, it just sounded like all audio cut out, so used this.

Last edited:
So I bought the game, had it delivered, and installed it, which took forever, and towards the end the first time it crashed for some reason, but I got it installed!!! Tried running it, it started loading, then screen went black, and nothing was happening... After waiting a while, and seeing the hdd light wasn't lighting up on my case, ctrl alt deleted and saw my cpu was running at 100%, come to find out I need a quad core to run the game :-( And like an idiot, on Black Friday I got some sweet new leathers for my bike, for about the price of an i5 4690K... Probably going to get one next friday when I get paid, may have to push a couple bills back, but I'd say it will be worth it :p Can't wait for my financial aid to come in, but that's not until January, going to do a few more upgrades to the pc, and probably a few to the Harley also ;-)

So I bought the game, had it delivered, and installed it, which took forever, and towards the end the first time it crashed for some reason, but I got it installed!!! Tried running it, it started loading, then screen went black, and nothing was happening... After waiting a while, and seeing the hdd light wasn't lighting up on my case, ctrl alt deleted and saw my cpu was running at 100%, come to find out I need a quad core to run the game :-( And like an idiot, on Black Friday I got some sweet new leathers for my bike, for about the price of an i5 4690K... Probably going to get one next friday when I get paid, may have to push a couple bills back, but I'd say it will be worth it :p Can't wait for my financial aid to come in, but that's not until January, going to do a few more upgrades to the pc, and probably a few to the Harley also ;-)

Sadly you chose B-Peen (biker peen) over E-Peen this Black Friday. :(

I ended up screwing my budget, but I got a $130 i3 4150 for $100 new, which has hyperthreading, so it acts like a quad core well enough to work with games designed for a quad core... Most of them don't rely on the actual cores, but on the number of threads. It will get replaced with most likely the i7 4790k in January or so, but I don't have to wait that much longer to play the game lmao, should be here 12/3!!!

Is the Digital Deluxe Version worth the extra $10? $60 is already a lot imo, but for $70 it better be really f'n good.

It includes some dlc for free, I'd say it's $10 friggin bucks, I'll blow that in 1 drink in a heartbeat lol. If it was a $20-30 difference, then I dunno, depends on how much you love the series, and I know I want to do absolutely everything available for the entire series... Can't wait to get my cpu so I can finally play!!! Think it's coming in tomorrow, which sucks cuz it's my b-day today, but then again, I have class this evening, and supposed to work tonight, unless I end up drunk right after school, then I'm sick lol. Anyways, getting off topic

I'd say most definitely, if you are likely to thoroughly enjoy the game

Ok, so maybe not quite so much... Just looked at what the differences are, and here ya go
https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/...pc-download/base-game/digital-deluxe-edition#

Now I haven't even gotten to the main loading screen yet, so I don't know how really worth it it is, but again, I fell in love with DA Origins when it came out, though 2 was quite the let down, I hear they found out it wasn't a hit, and made up for it in this one...

doesn't seem worth it to me, just a throne and some random armor and stuff? /shrug depends on what you value I guess.

Back