• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED AMD ZEN Discussion (Previous Rumor Thread)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thing is, you don't find that many ES samples in the wild. The ones you tend to see more than other are the ones with the correct clock speeds, etc.

I don't see it as a maximum, more of a, uh oh, why isn't it a lot closer to 4Ghz...

I know what you're saying E_D, if they release them for "efficiency" they're going to have lower clocks since there"s an Envelope where that efficiency falls. Take bulldozer they needed to clock them higher just to get mediocre performance from them which threw efficiency out the window and also made it so that you couldn't run them outside of "spec" unless you had a top tier board and cooling.
I have my fingers crossed that regardless of base clock the CPU will scale with voltage/cooling. If not then they're really not gaining any ground against the blue team.

ES A0 and early chips you do not see in the wild. Those are the chips with lower speeds because the silicon is not mature by any means.

Now for AMD having lower speeds for higher IPC, well thats vary possible. Remember guys, its not the speed that matters, it is the efficiency. We have seen low clock but faster CPUs come out of AMD before (a long time ago albeit).

Right but if it doesn't clock to 4.5 then there's really no gain. Since they have already shown in "their own test" they are slightly faster than haswell, if they can't get to mid 4's then they're still slower than intel even with improved IPC. Maybe close but then prices would have to be lower. A lot lower to win over a "new crowd". I guess I'm thinking enthusiast which is a small minority of buyers. But ..........

Enthusiast isn't the target market.
AMD still maintains to this day that they are not competing with Intel on the HEDT market.
Expect price/bang for the buck to be the selling point.

We as enthusiasts just hope for better than that.

Enthusiast isn't the target market.
AMD still maintains to this day that they are not competing with Intel on the HEDT market.
Expect price/bang for the buck to be the selling point.

We as enthusiasts just hope for better than that.

I always thought it was savvy enthusiasts that made chips act in a way the chip was not designed to do - because the enthusiast was savvy to things that the engineer thought they wouldn't be. Come to find out its just something that richer folks can do. Phooey! :)

I always thought it was savvy enthusiasts that made chips act in a way the chip was not designed to do - because the enthusiast was savvy to things that the engineer thought they wouldn't be. Come to find out its just something that richer folks can do. Phooey! :)
Nonsense. Cost of hardware doesn't make the overclocker. It just nets you more worthless HWB points and 10 minutes of geek fame before somebody else with more money beats you.

You can overclock anything doesn't have to be expensive. I overclocked a raspberry pi once

0 of that pdf/power point explains that Zen has a shorter pipeline. I'm also pretty sure that the power point is for a class.

The real answer is, no one knows until AMD says it. You can speculate all you want, but the truth is that AMD went with a new architecture. We will know more about it in the coming months.

Good reads on both those articles.

Liked the video showing the rendering between the two architectures. Shows at least what ever based render app that was @ the speed that AMD finally caught up to the IPC of Intel if not surpassed it. Though if AMD is at 3Ghz still, and our Intel CPU's are at 3.5+ Ghz still Intel has the advantage unless there is OC headroom. Come on AMD... make a huge comeback with this and re-ignite the competition we had back the the late 90's / early 00's.

Good reads on both those articles.

Liked the video showing the rendering between the two architectures. Shows at least what ever based render app that was @ the speed that AMD finally caught up to the IPC of Intel if not surpassed it. Though if AMD is at 3Ghz still, and our Intel CPU's are at 3.5+ Ghz still Intel has the advantage unless there is OC headroom. Come on AMD... make a huge comeback with this and re-ignite the competition we had back the the late 90's / early 00's.

Unless it can do just as much work with 3Ghz as an intel chip can do with 3.5+. Remember it really wasn't that long ago that a 2ghz AMD was faster than a 3.2ghz intel.

Unless it can do just as much work with 3Ghz as an intel chip can do with 3.5+. Remember it really wasn't that long ago that a 2ghz AMD was faster than a 3.2ghz intel.

Well in a test they showed a rendering (link below) of 3.0Ghz Zen Summit Ridge vs 3.0Ghz 6900k (8 Cores, 16 Threads). The test showed Zen ending just slightly faster than the Intel, looks to be slightly faster than 1 second. So its not by any means going to be as fast as it was previously. Though like I said impressive and happy that AMD is coming back.

I doubt at this point they will increase the IPC any more then what they have already at this point. The process is set and only thing they are probably doing is setting the clock rate of which they will be releasing at.

Back