• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Build that can handle GTA 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creativized

Registered
hello people!

My mate recently earned some money from work, and he wants to build new pc. (Whole case + components + 1080p monitor)
His old pc is really crap (old sempron, it was only for internet nothing more, so we have to build brand new rig)

His max is something around 550 € (600€ total, but wants buy GTA5 with new pc too, so stick to 600€ with GTA5)
Probably problem will be only with our country. We live in Slovakia, and ordering something from america, UK will be expensive af. So we have to build it in our eshops. I know one very cheap eshop, where i built this rigView attachment 162392
yes i know that zalman PSU isnt best piece on the internet, but we have to stick in this price... I was about to change it for evga 500w but he cant buy GTA then.

Links for components

http://datacomp.sk/mb-asus-a88xm-a-fm2-_d237279.html
http://datacomp.sk/cpu-amd-athlon-x4-860k-kaveri-4core-3-7ghz-4mb-_d261152.html
http://datacomp.sk/amd-sapphire-r7-260x-2gb-128-aktiv-d-h-dp-oc-gam_d272292.html
http://datacomp.sk/ddram3-8gb-2x4gb-adata-1600mhz-xpg-v2-0-series-cl9-1-5v-chladic-tct_d244189.html
http://datacomp.sk/3-5-hdd-500gb-toshiba-desktop-sata-iii-7200ot-32mb_d145553.html
http://datacomp.sk/zalman-zdroj-zm500-lx-500w-80-atx12v-2-3-pfc-12cm-fan_d245257.html
http://datacomp.sk/xigmatek-recon-usb-3-0-midi-tower-black_d259365.html
http://datacomp.sk/aoc-i2269vw-21-5-_d258614.html

If you have some ideas, feel free and share it with me/us would be great to hear your opinion on this build, or on what we shall change.
Intel is too expensive (to be honest, G3258 is only dual core, and i3 is not good imo too than pure quad core cpu) and amd is only one way to build something usefull.
I think 720p gaming will be enough for him, its not necesary to force every game at 1080p, so we can change monitor, or save money or something else. But i think this is good FM2 build, but another problem here is i have to update bios because kaveri cores wont work on FM2+ motherbaords until i update bios, and i dont have any fm2 cpu for only updating bios. So maybe change FM2+ socket to AM3+ and build something from FX series?

Last edited:
I haven't seen any good tests after first patches so it will be hard to say what is the minimal playable configuration to enjoy GTAV. I know that today nvidia released updated driver.
Personally I would stick to nvidia graphics card and any 4 threaded CPU but I don't know how GTA is scalling with CPU cores. I guess that more tests will be available soon.
AMD CPUs offer poor performance in some games so without confirmed tests I wouldn't spend my money, especially on APU.

AMD might not be top dog, but you'll have more fun overclocking them than playing GTA V!!!
Especially if you go the FX route.

Grand Theft Auto V System Requirements

From that link you can (click here) to go and see the game developer's suggestions for system requirements. And they surely are less than at Game Debate. I think minimums are just that...just enough to barely get by. Maybe not enough for hotdoggies this game is a blast to play. YMMV.

RGone...

Yes i know that AMD isnt the best option, but if it can handle 720p/1080p at medum/low that would be great.
RGone yes i have this requirements from same site, i was building this rig from this specs, and teoreticaly, it should work on 1080p on medium settings, we'll see few days/weeks after release and some tests.

What about this IPS monitor? Im total noob about monitors, i just know that usually IPS>TN but many 120/240hz monitors are TN (no money for 120/240hz) but just saying. What about this monitor?

Why not? Thats what xbox uses??

New xbox is total fail. Games have FPS limiters, lowered resolution and lower texture size only so they won't lag. If they try to run 1080p+ on xbox then it would keep 15-20 FPS in many titles.

I'm not saying that because I hate AMD or something. I just had every AMD generation, 2 FX rigs, 2 APU and still have 2 Kabini. On FX/APU I had problems with performance in some games comparing to even lower Intels so there is no way I would recommend them as a general gaming platform. They're a lot of fun for overclocking but not all are overclocking 24/7 and not all are playing 3DMarks.

Edit:
Looking at the minimum GTA V requirements I assume that minimum = will let you run game but barely playable, medium = here you start playing ...

Last edited:
Some games are optimized on and for.Intel platforms. That said theres no arguement that cpu mhz eve on low end Intel isnt always the issue.

I got a gtx 760 that would play this title nicely at 1080P. Use whatever cpu you want.

NV is the way to go either way imo.

Sad true is that there are no games optimized for AMD which gives them any advantage over Intel. There are some titles which are running almost as fast as on Intel but there are also games that are barely playable on AMD.

Regarding OP statement:
Intel is too expensive (to be honest, G3258 is only dual core, and i3 is not good imo too than pure quad core cpu) and amd is only one way to build something usefull.

i3 performs like AMD 4 thread FX/APU +1GHz. So 3.5GHz i3 based on haswell will perform nearly as fast as 4 core ( more like a thread ) AMD CPU @4.5GHz. That I actually tested myself in couple of games. i3 price in EU is right now weirdly high so it's not a good option anyway.
However Athlon 860K should be faster than Pentium G3258 in most new games and I hope it will run good in GTX V.

@madmeatballs Please, first read, then post something. Not everyone got tons of money spend on gaming pc, bye

Yes, i3 is too high i think... When i saw prices in america, or UK, our prices are extremely high i would say. If i build full build (withou monitor) i spend only 500€ for fx 6300 and r9 280/280x and still can afford 8gb ram and at least 500gb hdd and decent psu. But here i cant. Only cheap g3258 or x4 860k

I saw on google, some people was playing gta 5 on medium 1080p with gtx750ti and g3258 wich is quite interesting i think. Im confused as f. right now.

But here i cant. Only cheap g3258 or x4 860k

I saw on google, some people was playing gta 5 on medium 1080p with gtx750ti and g3258 wich is quite interesting i think. Im confused as f. right now.

When you start asking about 'cheap' build, it is hard to say what is cheap that will do really well. Nobody wants to play less than pretty good. So when you count up all you can buy and that is all the money...you have to get what you can afford and use it the best it will work.

Get what you can buy and that is really all you can get when there is so much to get.

RGone...

@madmeatballs Please, first read, then post something. Not everyone got tons of money spend on gaming pc, bye

Yes, i3 is too high i think... When i saw prices in america, or UK, our prices are extremely high i would say. If i build full build (withou monitor) i spend only 500€ for fx 6300 and r9 280/280x and still can afford 8gb ram and at least 500gb hdd and decent psu. But here i cant. Only cheap g3258 or x4 860k

I would personally save a little more for a budget that allows building something decent. If your buddy wants to play GTA 5 on an extreme budget, then increase budget or go console.

does it necessarily have to be flat 600eur?

I checked out that shop you were talking about datacomp.sk right?
here's what I picked from the store you linked

Screen Shot 2015-04-16 at 3.47.16 PM.png

just went over 7.51eur maybe you can find a cheaper monitor?

just trying to help

I noticed, this build is somewhat similar to the one on your sig...

Not bad "madmeatballs" but he stretched the number at 600 and in that he had to buy the game.

RGone...

Last edited:
Oops I missed that, lol.

I hear you man. it is tough to catch everything when they ask for a "build" sheet. I tried to come up with a socket 1150 rig and just could not touch that pricing of the AMD APU rig.

I agree with you that he should probably just build him one for his buddy just like his own...if it plays okay.

RGone...

if you click the parts in OP's sig it links to a store. I can't understand anything there but it sure is cheaper than datacomp.sk. Maybe buying from there might save his friend around what GTA V costs.

Last edited:
6 thread FX won't be a big advantage over 4 thread athlon 860 in this case. I would put more money in better graphics card than CPU. R7 260 is kinda slow card and I mean I was testing it some time ago and I simply wouldn't recommend it for new games.

Back