• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why I love and hate my AMD gear

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 40% increase is due to IPS increase. As to what AMD did is unknown. My bet? AMD tied a fetch unit to the GPU so that it doesn't have to go down the FP/INT pipeline before getting to the GPU.

I hate to burst most people's bubbles Zen won't do anything for AMD. It will probably keep the company around for one more CPU but I'd imagine AMD will move away from the x86 R&D after.

EDIT

Actually Zen may be interesting.

Reports from AMD indicate that Zen will abandon modular CMT (Clustered Multithread) for a SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading) microarchitecture,[1][7] the model Intel uses. Adapting their chips from the less-popular CMT to SMT[2] is expected to offer much higher number threading efficiency, but also possibly increase the die size of Zen module.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)

I don't like quoting Wikipedia, but this line had me thinking. For some odd reason I missed this in the AMD slides that were leaked. This is actually a critical change in their architecture.

Guys, I think we may see Thuban 2.0.

Last edited:
With their knack for hype and record of delivery as of late I'm not holding my breath. AMD is putting a lot of eggs in this basket completely different uarch on an untested die size. For their sake I hope they can make it fly and deliver on time.

And what is the likelihood that it will be competitive with Intel on a pound for pound basis and not just pound for dollars ?

I think his reply actually answers that question... LOL

@ Dolk - Only time will tell. Those in the know (read: those who pay attention to what AMD says and actually produces) won't hold their breath and just wait for results.

Actually Zen may be interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)

I don't like quoting Wikipedia, but this line had me thinking. For some odd reason I missed this in the AMD slides that were leaked. This is actually a critical change in their architecture.

Guys, I think we may see Thuban 2.0.

Well, that could be potentially GOOD, if true. And if they manage not to muck it up like with Bulldozer.

I thought "Zen" was going to be part of their "Skybridge" line with an x86 processor paired with an ARM processor in one CPU, but I guess that's not true now. (I just found out the project was cancelled.)

AMD and Intel have a bunch of ARM CPUs sitting around in the R&D labs. No one knows what they are doing with them. x86 Killers, threats to keep x86, who knows.

So far the rumors in the server world is that AMD is building a x86 CPU. What flavor or style is still very unknown. But the SMT remark brings back the notion of true x86 CPU cores. Thuban and Deneb were good architectures, and had a lot of room for polishing to become great CPUs. Maybe someone finally made the right call at AMD and said, go with history not innovation!

"Guys, I think we may see Thuban 2.0."

I would be sooooooo in, this is what we all hoped bullsnoozer would be.

Eew someone mentioned WoW.
Guild Wars here, from when it was beta.

But yeah, had one of the early bulldozers never had an issue with it, had system up 24/7.........my bottleneck has always been videocards >.> stupid systems within systems.

Find me a way to hook an SSD/mouse/KB/wireless card to a video card and use THAT as a system.

^^^^^^ that^^^^^^ is what I want to see become the norm.
some software will do it, but the cost of it and the cards to boot.
the cards start at about 6 grand each and the software lease is so many dollars per year per CORE, so it looks like this, many dollars x 2600 CORES= OUCHY in the check book area.........
for around the house I'll just take an 8 core thuban please.

AMD and Intel have a bunch of ARM CPUs sitting around in the R&D labs. No one knows what they are doing with them. x86 Killers, threats to keep x86, who knows.

So far the rumors in the server world is that AMD is building a x86 CPU. What flavor or style is still very unknown. But the SMT remark brings back the notion of true x86 CPU cores. Thuban and Deneb were good architectures, and had a lot of room for polishing to become great CPUs. Maybe someone finally made the right call at AMD and said, go with history not innovation!

I remember when AMD was working on low power, multi core ( like 32+ ) ARM servers ... but later they released Kabini. I will say that again, if they made single CPU with 16+ Kabini cores and additional ~8 PCIe lanes then they could make really strong CPU for servers or gaming PCs. Something similar with less cores is in consoles right now.

I was browsing web for small/low power computers as friend needed one and I found something like NUC but based on AMD APU. Worse is that their lowest 4 thread APU is 16W + mobo etc = ~20-25W while similar Intel is 4-6W + other stuff = 10-12W. so what I want to say here is that AMD still hasn't figured out how to make good, low power CPUs and without that, they won't beat Intel on any market.
Other thing is that now CPU performance counts less than everything else. Even lower series CPUs are fast enough to run most applications fast enough and people are looking for additional features which can give them better experience while using hardware. AMD has their APU and other graphics ideas but they are missing the needs of end users. Most of this hardware is useless and can be easily replaced by competition. Recent graphics card pricing is also really bad and works against AMD.

Last edited:
Woomack hit the head of the nail with current x86 platforms. But ARM and modern CPU combinations are tricky to combine. The only reason Intel is doing so well in the x86 low power and ultra low power market is because they put a lot of R&D into power gating.

@NZK
You cannot have a system completely based on GPU style processors. An OS like Win10 would take an eternity to run on such architecture.

On a slightly different albeit related note, recently, I've had more fun playing around with my GTX970 BIOS than with processor overclocking. After DDR1, I became rather blasé towards memory overclocking. :shrug:

@Dolk, who said I would be running 10 on it.
Was thinking more like......a customized linux distro, or something.

I seriously need to find something to do with this random UltraSPARC III chip I have.
*currently, its a paperweight*

Speaking of old and new, thinking about getting a 360mm AIO for stretching my 8370 out of the 4.7 niche and "future compatibility" (sounds as bad as "future proofing" but meh), what do you think of a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate ? keeping in mind that whatever upgrade i decide to get when the Zen/Intel come out will be 6/8 core. Anyone that has one or worked with one know any good or bad stuff about it ?

http://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/Liquid_Cooler_/All_in_One/C_00002345/Water_3_0_Ultimate/design.htm

You must have a first gen chip then... Weird how water will get you "well into the 5Ghz/5.4GHz" range, but you need a triple rad to get past 4.7Ghz? You said those were air temps. That's a hot one you own! :(

Anyway, I had the water 2.0 and didn't have a problem with it. Not sure what has changed on the 3.0. Check out some reviews on the product though while you wait for something here. :)

You must have a first gen chip then... Weird how water will get you "well into the 5Ghz/5.4GHz" range, but you need a triple rad to get past 4.7Ghz? You said those were air temps. That's a hot one you own! :(

"4.6ghz/4.7ghz is limit to air, water goes well into 5.0ghz/5.2ghz with the current batches 5.2ghz stable is well possible with a 360 radiator and good MB/case." is what i said after revising the info on the newest batches.

A h100i would be enough to get me to 5ghz or close, i said i wanted to "future proof" it with 6/8 cores in mind, most likely 8, hence the "triple rad". And i want to STRETCH IT - overclock it to hell and back, not settle for less that what it can do, if you know what i mean.

As to being hot, i really don't know yet, im running 4.7ghz 1.392v and getting 56 degrees on Prime95 overnight, fans at 50% until they hit 55 degrees, then they jump to 100% which rarely happens.

Last edited:
Well, you will need a triple rad considering the cooler you have is just a couple C off a typical 2x120mm AIO. :)

Go get em! :clap:

Gotta love the sarcasm, very helpful. All the info i wrote here is from this and other forums, so if im doing something wrong please say so instead of "sounding" like a teenager throwing a fit.

That wasn't sarcastic at all. :grouphug:

EDIT: Its clear from the goals you mention that you want to push it. And since your air cooler falls just a couple of C short of a typical 2x120mm AIO, you will need the triple rad to get there (and 'future proof as you mentioned). Does that make more sense and sound less sarcastic? Sorry you came away with that impression.

Last edited:
Back