• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8120 Overclock with a ASRock 970 Extreme 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foopsz

Hey, I'm looking to overclock my amd 8120 to 3.8Ghz-4Ghz I know 4 is pushing it because I don't have the best mobo out their. Just looking to get a little extra out of my 4 year old CPU I have a Hyper 212 Evo coming Saturday.

Do you guys think i can get 3.8Ghz-4Ghz out of my 8120 on a asrock 970 extreme3.

Been playing a lot of csgo and on all low at 1280x960 I get just a little over 100fps and it drops to 70 sometimes. I plan on getting a 144hz monitor so I am trying to see if I can get 144fps atleast on my amd 8120 I also have a GTX 760.

Have any tutorial on how to overclock a video one would be better then a written.

There's a guide in my sig. You're right about the mobo but it might handle it

for 3.8Ghz I shouldn't have to mess with the voltage right?

I was thinking of putting the multiplier up only to get to 3.8ghz.

Personally I would do it in manual. If left on auto it's likely to overvolt causing more draw/heat to the VRM

I will have to see but it would be manual at least I think because my mobo has a manul option then a multiplier that will tell me like x15.0 and then will give me the Ghz that will give me.

idk yet I get my cpu cooler tomorrow. so I will try it tomorrow.

The CPU temp is probably not going to be the one that limits you, but the VRM temperature. At some point the motherboard will throttle the CPU, but that point may be above 4 GHz, depending on your cooling. Providing extra airflow for the VRM is a good idea. You should also keep an eye on socket temps when stress testing.

The CPU temp is probably not going to be the one that limits you, but the VRM temperature. At some point the motherboard will throttle the CPU, but that point may be above 4 GHz, depending on your cooling. Providing extra airflow for the VRM is a good idea. You should also keep an eye on socket temps when stress testing.

Yeah I can see much of a performance boost yet in csgo really my fps hasn't gone up much.

I'd like to add that you say you're getting a new 144Hz monitor? If you go to 1440 resolution as well then your 760 with 2GB Vram isn't going to keep up.

Nah I am getting the ASUS VG248QE Its a 1080p monitor and I game csgo @1280x960

I'd like to add that you say you're getting a new 144Hz monitor? If you go to 1440 resolution as well then your 760 with 2GB Vram isn't going to keep up.

I ran at a steady 200 fps+ @ 1280x720 w/ a EVGA GTX 560 SC. on cs go.

Nah I am getting the ASUS VG248QE Its a 1080p monitor and I game csgo @1280x960

Did you happen to try to unlock the fps cap in cs go? put into the steam launch parameter "+fps_max unlimited" and then in-game in the console type "fps_max 900"

Back