• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3+ Chips to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Average air only OC at HWB is 4.7, based on a few hundred subs.
Not any different than any other FX model. 4.7-4.8 on high end air.

Then it's really a case of bads only, I rarely see one above 4.5ghz :( live and learn :)

Well once i get my mobo back i will be going to max oc i can get with safe temps and vcore. so ill update you guys on what i can get mine to go.

Okay guys, computer is back up and running. The dehavior is a lot different from my other board when i am overclocking. But its all good. Right now I have the 6300 @ 4.5 1.46v. My question, what is the max safe 24/7 vcore? The temps are amazing right now, i switched my cooler around and changed my fan setup and now it hasnt gone passed 37c with AMD OD stability test running.

Is the max 24/7 1.55v?

Last edited:
Okay sounds good. Right now its stable with 1.5 hours of AOD and 45mins of prime95. Every time i go for 4.6, even at 1.468v it isnt stable. So ill will push the vcore to 1.50 and see what clocks i can get. with the prime95, temps didnt go past 43c

Okay sounds good. Right now its stable with 1.5 hours of AOD and 45mins of prime95. Every time i go for 4.6, even at 1.468v it isnt stable. So ill will push the vcore to 1.50 and see what clocks i can get. with the prime95, temps didnt go past 43c
Take small steps, no need to jump right up to 1.5v and forget AOD stress test use prime 95, Occt or AIDA 64. Patience is a virtue when over clocking.

Okay I will. Will i do damage if i just to 1.5?

And what was the best version of prime95 for amd?

I downloaded version 26.6, thats the correct one right?

You shouldn't incur any harm to the CPU by running it at 1.5 24/7.

Prime95 v. 26.6 was before AVX instruction set which that generation of CPU does have. Personally, I would move up to at least Prime95 v. 27.7 which was when AVX started being included in the tool. In the latest versions of Prime95 they have included AVX2 which many shy away from because it produces an extreme amount of heat for those CPUs which have AVX2 instruction sets. However, your CPU does not have AVX2 so the newer versions of Prime95 won't run any hotter for you.

Actually, I am recommending OCCT Large data set for 3 hr. runs in stress testing. It will give essentially the same intensity of stress test as 2 hr. of Prime95 and you can set a timer which you can't do for Prime95 and OCCT does also test for AVX1. But I'll warn you, either OCCT or Prime95 will require more voltage to pass than does Overdrive, at least .01 more vcore. And I don't really trust Overdrive to ensure stability of an overclock. It's just too easy to pass. So I would stay where you are now with your overclock and make sure you are really stable before trying to increase it to 4.6. Reason being I suspect you will need to add more voltage to be truly stable at 4.5ghz.

Okay well right now i am at 4.6 @ 1.475v and been running prime95 (26.6) for 45mins now. I am watching youtube and have chrome open. Temps are amazing though, it hit 47c but i opened my window (in my room) and the temp is around 44c now. Ill install occt and give that a shot. Ill leave it at 4.6 and see if that is stable before adding more multiplier.

Last edited:
Sounds good. By the way, when you are running multiple apps while stress testing you may be lessening the effectiveness of the stress testing because the cores are sharing time between the various apps, some of which are much less demanding than the stress testing app.

Last edited:
Oh i didnt know that. Ill get off chrome and leave it stress test. Right now i am running OCCt for about 35mins now no problems.

Okay so ill shoot for 2 hours. I really dont have the patience for a 3 hour run. Right now i am coming up close to 2 hours. If i pass ill try a higher clock. But i do think ill need more voltage to go to 4.7

Update: so 4.6 was stable. Passed OCCT for 2 hours. Trying 4.7 @ 1.488v. seems stable atm but will lets the test run for 2.5 hours.

UPDATE: After 2 hours and 15mins of OCCT it is stable at 4.7 @ 1.488v. I will push it more tomorrow, i want to play for now. I dont think ill be able to get much higher than this. I think 4.8 MAYBE 4.9. But i wont pass 1.50v

Last edited:
One last question, Right now i have the 6300 running at 4.8ghz @ 1.493v in the bios. There is no way i could get 4.9 by pushing the vcore to 1.5 is there?

As i watch cpuz, the vcore bounces up to 1.5 occasionally. which is why i dont think it will be able to hit 4.9. but i wanted everyones opinion while i stress test this clock.

Or have i found the max on this chip?

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd leave well enough alone. If you have gotten 4.8 ghz stable out of that CPU my friend then you have been blessed by the silicon lottery. Most people get about 4.6 ghz on a good board like that with good cooling.

So, let us know how she games for you.

If it were me, I'd leave well enough alone. If you have gotten 4.8 ghz stable out of that CPU my friend then you have been blessed by the silicon lottery. Most people get about 4.6 ghz on a good board like that with good cooling.
Yeah she's running OCCT right now stable. Temps are good too. Wow, I feel special. First and probably last lottery I'll ever win �� but yeah the cinebench score is getting high too, last I checked it was 570

Update: Hour and half into OCCT and still stable. temps havent gone over 45c. Thats with my windows closed since the temp with it open was around 38c.

Last edited:
Back