• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to installing Harddrives, need lots of help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had SCSI as the 4th but considering I had no disk in the CD/floppy it would have jumped right to the SCSI because the IDE doesnt show up as the third (IE unplugged) so making it the second boot option wouldnt realy change anything would it?

OK results:
Running with boot like this:
1. CD
2. SCSI
3. IDE
4. floppy

Booting with just Raptor resulted in a Selection screen to to start windows in safe mode, or normal either choice results in a blue screen that Tell me about the Error.

Booting with raptor and IDE plugged in with raptor still on 2nd boot I saw 1 second of the windows loading screen before the error.

And once again, im back on IDE only. Still confused why im getting this error.

You are getting the error because you do not have the sata drivers installed because you have a restore disc instead of an install disk.You could not press f6 during install.If you put the ide back and boot into windows on ide and it sees the raptor,you can still install the drivers onto the installation.Do you see where I am going?

I'll check back in a few minutes.

Running IDE im not seeing the SATA at least not on my device manager or my computer. I dont see why itwouldnt work if it was able to install, wouldnt that mean everything was talking correctly? For sata drives do you mean the PCI card or the Harddrive?

Nevermind, I lied, my SCSI drive just popped up on device manager after closing an reopening it. It has also appeared in my computer now and I can access it freely. I feel this has to be a step in the right direction...

Last edited:
Yes,now that you can see it, it must have windows drivers.Did the card come with sata drivers on a disk that can be installed in windows?

If it did then they would install to winnt/system32/drivers folder.

Last edited:
I believe so, it comes with an installation file that installs a program called SATARaid, should I try to install that onto the F drive (how the SATA is showing up in my computer)? I can also check WD's website for SATA drivers to. I need to go to class right now but when I get back ill try doing those two things unless another suggestion posted is more relevant.

There should be a disk with just the drivers.these would need to be placed/copied to the folder from the above post.Then the sata/scsi should boot.The drivers are almost certianly in your C; drivers folder already or you wouldn't see the other drive.Once the drivers are present within the windows on the sata drive it should boot from scsi.

OK im trying to install my drivers and windows update on the second drive, but it wont let me run the installer fresh, meaning it brings up the 'remove''reinstall' options, and then automatically goes to my C drive...so how can I get it to install on that drive...Ive realised my PCI card instructions keep talking about a floppy disk with drivers that doesnt come with my actually card and isnt listed on the box as a content, how bad is that to make references in directions and help on something you dont give the customer.

Last edited:
The drivers are on your C: installation already because you did run the installation disk.Now you need these drivers on the F: installation.Put in the disk and exit the installation.Go to my computer and right click the drive that has the disk and click explore.hopefully it only has the drivers for your disk and not every driver ever made by koutech like mine did.Anyway find the drivers for your model.They should be listed by OS and also one for dos.Write them down.Go to winxp/system32/drivers on your C: installation and confirm they are there.Resize the window so you can also navigate to the same folder on F: and see both at the same time.Copy and paste From C to f all the files.Now it SHOULD boot without the ide connected to SCSI or SCSI first.

You can also see the drivers installed by going to device manager,SCSI and raid controllers,right click on the controller and click on properties,click the driver tab and driver details.It will show the driver/drivers,and location folder for you.It is easier than what I first said but it's way early here.

Make sure to make a restore point first for your current OS.
I tried to find your card on koutech's website but could find no downloads specific to your card so I cannot identify the drivers.Good luck.

Last edited:
OK ill try that, yeah I checked for drivers for my card on the website too and no luck, I think it might be pretty old. Also my CD has about 70 folders but there is a folder marked with my cards name (PSA150) so thats it but its still pretty annoying, ill try the device manager way because I know my way around that. Ill post a reply after I try.

OK I copied the 3 drivers for my PCI card and the 2 for my harddrive and nothing, im still getting the blue screen with 'windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer'when I attempt SCSI only boot.

Last edited:
Just curios,my Koutech card has a "resolve conflicts" option in the raid bios and it will let you chose what you want to boot from there.Does you card have this in the bios as well?

If i found the correct manual online it does support booting a pci add in card.The only real problem must be the restore disc's.
I also did a search om my computer and found two more files in win/oemdir.One was the same driver file and the oem setup file located there.you might check and see if you have the same files located on C: drive and if so copy the folder to the F; drive.It surely couldn't hurt after all you have been through.

Last edited:
The raid bios, do you mean the raid option that prompts starting of the computer? because I dont have any conflict resolution option within that, the desktop software, or any option in device manager.

As for those files I had no luck finding them.

I found the files by entering the driver file in the search window,mine was pnp680.sys and it showed up two places on the C: drive.Have you tried leaving the C drive pluged in and just making the scsi higher in the boot order then the ide?

Sorry we couldn't getThe raptor as your boot drive this way.You might want to start a thread in the MS operating system location.Reduc900 hangs out there and if it can be done he would know how.Failing that when you are ready to reformat your original hard drive or can get the drive contents less than 37 gigs you can use WD's tools located at their website that will copy the original hard drive to your raptor and make it the boot drive.I think you will be very pleased with the raptors performance.

Mmm thanks for the help sorry I havent replied been very busy, still stuck at the blue screen guess ill make a thread in that OS forum. Im pretty close to simple deleting/burning as much of my stuff as I can and swifting drives as you mentioned but first I have to buy a new CD burner so thats weeks away. Thanks for the help with the drive!

Back