• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SLI benches arrive (copy/pst from [H])

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
1097603215cFVsh2AA0F_1_1_l.gif

Well I hope this puts things to rest. SLI is as good as the hype claims to be...

LINK

If you have the cash...maybe a 6800 isnt such a bad pick anymore :D (note that these speeds are *stock*)

6600GT also is looking mighty strong :attn:

Nice scores, but at what cost. That's a chunk of change right there, that's for sure. I'm happy with my 20 fps in DoomIII. 1000 dollars saved makes me that much happier. ;)

And apparently 6800U PCIx cards are already for sale. The ones I saw were going for 612USD a pop.

I think the real kicker will be the 6600GT, especially Gainwards monster. Hell look at those benches. For the price of an GT (maybe slightly more) you can get a monster VGA card, that will further increase with overclocking. I think thats gonna be the real sweet spot for people.

2x6600GTs
or 1 x 6800GT (for SLI at a later date)

I couldn't find them anywhere. I'd probably be looking at a pcix version, so I could run SLI later. I'd have to upgrade my board probably, but at least I'd have a card that would be capable of running in dual mode.

i wouldn't do lower than 6800GT, you a get a little less performance with a single 6800GT than dual 6600GTs but there is room to upgrade in th future to reach speeds that you could never touch with SLI 6600GT, even with it OCed

JeffP said:
Good question who is making a dual PCI-E x16 slot mobo? Is anyone?

just about everyone will be for us OCers....in about 6 months or so.

(and that's the raw deal we will have to put up with, no matter what CPU you feel like going with.)

you could always go for a stock intel setup, but not me.

mica

Well Newegg just got in of all the latest V-cards... You can find 6600, 6600gt, and x700 pro's there all for around 200 bucks. Also as to what I can see you will be better off with getting a single 6800 gt vs 2x 6600gt's that is unless the 6600gt's drop in price a bit later around the time SLI actually releases! I never really looked into SLI, but what about dual monitor support?\

Also, does anyone know if there will be a x700xt 256 version, same with the 6600gt? Kind of like with the 9800pro... :-/

NewEgg has them huh? They didn't this morning when I checked. That's pretty cool. You're right about the performance though. You could save money now, or just buy a 6800 GT, and then another for SLI later on. The peformance from that would be staggering.

Wow, very nice scores (although not completely unexpected ;) ). The 6600GT looks to be an even better option than previously, provided you get a SLI compatible motherboard.

:eek: Crazy, so much money to!! Thats cool that they are creating something for hard core gamers. What sucks is, most hard core gamers are poor, lmao.

Sounds like fun though & something to look forward to. Now instead of worrying about one video card that you modded dieing, you now have to worry about two!

Oh yeah & I can already see what kind of threads this will create. "Well, one of my 6800 GT's died from modding so I'm at less then half the framerate I was at with two for awhile." "Time to RMA the one card because replacing it is to expensive."

SLI 6600GT = $400 > 6800GT = $400

Not including the other factors, just card price/performance.

HardOCP was also pleasantly surprised about the OCability of the 6600GT. I think they got 560 mhz out of the core, and an additional 1200 mhz from the memory with the stock cooler. Bolt on a waterblock(s) and I bet you could get even more out of em. Heck, the memory wasnt even actively cooled on the reference card.

obsolete said:
:eek: Crazy, so much money to!! Thats cool that they are creating something for hard core gamers. What sucks is, most hard core gamers are poor, lmao.

Sounds like fun though & something to look forward to. Now instead of worrying about one video card that you modded dieing, you now have to worry about two!

Oh yeah & I can already see what kind of threads this will create. "Well, one of my 6800 GT's died from modding so I'm at less then half the framerate I was at with two for awhile." "Time to RMA the one card because replacing it is to expensive."

First thing I thought of when I heard of SLI stuff was money. The high end vid cards are already waaaay too expensive. Buying two is just sort of crazy =)

Getting one 6800gt now and another like 5-6 months later isnt bad though.

As far as modding Id think this would be even more of a push away from modding. I think it would keep that group of people who are on the boarder of wanting to mod just for more performance. I know the group of people who have to mod everything no matter what wont be swayed though :D

For me I know I wouldnt mod or even flash a card if I was going to do SLI, just cool them well and Im sure a good OC and SLI would be way more than enough than the majority of us here.

Back