• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My second OC'ing project. FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good plan you should have a good OC to fall back on if you really get things mussed up.

I want to get a good 6 to 8 hour test on prime at 4.3ghz before I move past that.

2 Hrs of P95 Blend has proven a pretty good bench time frame for most of us. Not sure in todays world there is need to just hammer and hammer the smaller sized silicon.

When you get to say 4.5Ghz where you might stay for 24/7, you might go a little longer with P95 Blend if you feel the need.
RGone...

OK. I was under the impression that if I didn't run an 8 hr prime test, I can't legitimately call it stable. When I am running prime I am always doing other things as well, like on the internet, or watching Netflix, so it is working a little harder yet. I am surprised how these things can be working as hard as they are during prime and still do other tasks just about as fast as if prime were not running.

Actually most of us in here accept easily the idea of 2 hours P95 Blend stable.
RGone...

Poco I do a lot of multitasking and for periods of time my Rig will run the Cpu at 100% for 1/2 hour periods of time maybe 4 to 5 times a day. This is with numerous windows open and programs running in the background. If I pass 2 hours of prime blend I know I will not have any issues. If you pass two hours and you have issues doing what you do with yours. Then you probably need to run it more but I've found that mine will take anything I throw at it if I can pass two hours.

Well 4.3 is working well. Temps are fine. This time I took the advise given and upped the CPU NB voltage to 1.2. I also tightened up the RAM timings to 10-10-10-27 and raised the RAM voltage to 1.6. I lowered the NB freq and the HT freq a step. I upped the ram freq a step. The results were great. Very healthy increases in the benches I chose. Even 3D Mark 11 took a BIG jump. I think it was the memory holding that one back. Even my nemesis, Super Pi did better.

Here are the results-

Attachments

• XML 4.3.PNG
    XML 4.3.PNG
    22.8 KB · Views: 76
  • HWM 4.3.PNG
    HWM 4.3.PNG
    67.1 KB · Views: 76
  • CPUZ 1.PNG
    CPUZ 1.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 76
  • CPUZ 2.PNG
    CPUZ 2.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 76
  • CPUZ 3.PNG
    CPUZ 3.PNG
    39.8 KB · Views: 76
4.3Ghz is where one generally has to add a little cpu voltage to get to next level and then at 4.5Ghz again. Otherwise looks might darn good man.
RGone...ster.

I have and am still learning a lot from you guys. I had this thing clocked to 4.5ghz the first day, but my benches were crap. I am starting to learn there is a lot more to a good overclock than just pure processor speed. Everything else needs to jive to get the overall package to work well. Just did the benches ar 4.4 and wow, more big jumps. Just have to see if it is stable ;)

I just hit an hour on P95 at 4.4ghz. Still no vcore added. Temps are still OK. The socket is getting a little higher, but not bad. I have some 95 CFM fans to install in the case to replace the low CFM fans that are in it. Plus I still need to reverse the radiator fans so they are blowing out instead of in.

I watched the workers to see who was fastest. They rank in the order of 1 3 4 8 7 2 6 5. 5 is 2 tests behind 1 after an hour. I am betting that one will be my first problem.

I am going to let prime run another hour and then on to 4.5...

Attachments

• CPUZ 1.PNG
    CPUZ 1.PNG
    55.4 KB · Views: 72
  • HWM.PNG
    HWM.PNG
    63.2 KB · Views: 73
  • XLS 4.4.PNG
    XLS 4.4.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 72
  • CPUZ 2.PNG
    CPUZ 2.PNG
    32.6 KB · Views: 72
  • CPUZ 3.PNG
    CPUZ 3.PNG
    41.5 KB · Views: 71
Neither of the temps are near outrageous yet. Keep it up slow but surely and you will have all the numbers to REpeat the thing at any level you wish to later.
RGone...ster.

It passed a 2+ hour P95 test at those settings. The package temp still never got above 37 and the socket hit 50 for a few seconds. Even the 49 temp was for a very short time. Most of the time the socket was at 47 and the package was at 34. As expected it is the short length FFT's that make the most heat.

I am betting 4.5 will need more core v. I will try it as is first.

I am happy with the bench results. Even Super Pi is getting better. I had a lot of trouble getting that time down with my 965. The 3D mark scores are funny. The GPU score is only in the low 4000's, but the CPU/Physics score keeps coming up. The R9 270 I ordered will be here today, so the GPU score will be taking a jump.

Poco I think you would be better served since it's a 24/7 overclock, using Prime Blend as it tests the memory as well.

I am using the blend test. I just notice when it does the short FFT's, it really builds the heat. 8k, 10k, etc. The longer ones run a lot cooler. From what I have read, it is the short ones that work the CPU the hardest, and the long ones that work the memory.

I am using the blend test. I just notice when it does the short FFT's, it really builds the heat. 8k, 10k, etc. The longer ones run a lot cooler. From what I have read, it is the short ones that work the CPU the hardest, and the long ones that work the memory.

My bad when you wrote
As expected it is the short length FFT's that make the most heat.
I thought you were running the short fft's test :facepalm: Yes I do notice that as well when the test is running.

I took a break from OC'ing last night to install 2 new 95 cfm case fans, reverse my radiator fans, and add a fan to the left cover blowing over the VRM's. I also installed my new MSI R9 270. I am glad I got that baby. $179 was a great price for almost double the performance of my HD 7770 according to 3D Mark 11.

New parts are like candy? :clap:
Did you see if the new fans made any temp differences or is that tonights mission?

That is this weekends mission. They almost have to help. I still have the right cover off because there is no way to fit a fan on the back of the board without cutting the cover and bolting it to the outside of the case, so with the cover off a floor fan will still keep that cool for testing.

That is this weekends mission. They almost have to help. I still have the right cover off because there is no way to fit a fan on the back of the board without cutting the cover and bolting it to the outside of the case, so with the cover off a floor fan will still keep that cool for testing.

You sure? all it takes it a bit of tape and a small fan, the air movement is what needed more so that fresh air.

Capturefan.PNG

50 mm fan double sided tape and a 10° drop in socket temps. No freshair invloved.

I did get a couple if very small fans like that. I may be able to get one or 2 of them to fit. I just need to put some new plugs on them. They have a very small plug.

What do you have for a cooler? That looks just like the flimsy thing that came with my Thermaltake cooler.

Back