• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCForums Bimmer Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
eh, I'll bump this thread. News with my car... I got the strip for the bumper a while back and I partially pulled the dent. I put 11k miles on it, starter died (starter stuck on, but didn't engage the fly wheel. It killed the battery/ started smoking, TWICE before I replaced it. It still worked after all that!!! Built like a tank, it was), put another 1k miles on it, autocrossed it, now I'm in college and it's barely driven. I think I'm going to add iPod playback to my headunit shortly.

At the autocross (not my pictures since I was driving):
autox.jpg
autox-me-edit.jpg

eh, I'll bump this thread. News with my car... I got the strip for the bumper a while back and I partially pulled the dent. I put 11k miles on it, starter died (starter stuck on, but didn't engage the fly wheel. It killed the battery/ started smoking, TWICE before I replaced it. It still worked after all that!!! Built like a tank, it was), put another 1k miles on it, autocrossed it, now I'm in college and it's barely driven. I think I'm going to add iPod playback to my headunit shortly.

At the autocross (not my pictures since I was driving):
autox.jpg
autox-me-edit.jpg

nice! autox is one of the best place to start to learn driving!!!
thumbsup.gif

btw, were you at a BMWCCA NCC autox from that pic??

nice! autox is one of the best place to start to learn driving!!!
thumbsup.gif

btw, were you at a BMWCCA NCC autox from that pic??
Yes I was :) I'm not a member at the moment, but I follow their events. I'm also thinking about selling that particular car now. I've been thinking about it for a while and it turns out that my dad, my dad's friend, and my mom's friend are all interested in it. If I can get a decent amount of money for it, I want to sell it then buy almost the exact same car only with the inline 6 and a 5 speed.

Anyway, you can take me off the list. A month ago I was driving home from a party late one night and I slid off the side of the road. The car slipped down the wet hill and ended up on its side/roof in a ditch in the woods. I was perfectly fine and the car was mostly intact. Later some friends and I salvaged what we could from the car and camouflaged it with branches, rocks, dirt, and flat black and brown spray paint. We stripped the car pretty well for it being in such a location. Right now I am looking for another manual E36 6 cylinder sedan. I think I may have found a rolling chassis (minus engine and a few other details). I have the wiring harness from the wreck so all I really would need is an engine. I would have the entire month of January to work on it too. I just need to scrape together enough money after my next paycheck and I will be all set.

Yes I was :) I'm not a member at the moment, but I follow their events. I'm also thinking about selling that particular car now. I've been thinking about it for a while and it turns out that my dad, my dad's friend, and my mom's friend are all interested in it. If I can get a decent amount of money for it, I want to sell it then buy almost the exact same car only with the inline 6 and a 5 speed.

And with a roof I hope?

Nice. I might show up and take some pictures, but I can't race. I don't have a race license and I'm pretty sure my car won't be allowed on the track the way it sits anyway.
You don't need a race / competition license for HPDE or hyperdrives :santa:

You do need: good tread on the tires, car in good working order so it can pass tech inspection, I'd also recommend race pads... if you brake like your supposed to street pads will likely encounter fairly bad fade.

As far as safety gear goes, all you need is a helmet. Although you're in a convertible and so a roll bar might be needed as well to be allowed on track.

If you dont have that, you can always join nasa and start working events to earn credits towards track time.

I'd want a bolt-in roll bar even if it's not required. If I blow a tire on the track, I want to be somewhat protected. I'll have to consider working events though.

@Quailane:
sorry to hear about your car. I think my plan changed again and I might just be buying an e30 325i/is 5-speed.

@Quailane:
sorry to hear about your car. I think my plan changed again and I might just be buying an e30 325i/is 5-speed.

Thanks. As for the E30, watch out for rust. A friend of mine bought one cheap about a month ago and we have decided to part it out instead of build it up because of the rust. The rust went all the way through the chassis in many spots. The rear differential casing looks like it would shatter with a blow from a hammer; you can break off pieces with your fingers. Only a few spots were visible when the car was bought, but after some disassembly, the full extent became clear. Just be very, very careful when buying an E30. Also get a coupe, not a sedan. The E30 is the only one where there is a difference in weight between the two styles of chassis.

Back