• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tales from the Crypt WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The horror, the horror!!!!

That poor AMD, someone should call social services and find that CPU a new home with loving caring owners.....

Ok seriously, how hard is it to undo two screws, thumbscrews, a latch, latches, locks, or any other method and just pucker your lips and blow out the dust? I would seriously charge hazard pay for cleaning something like smoker lady's PC above (how do you smoke that much!)

One of these days i will sneak a picture of the 2 computers that belong to my sister and her boyfriend, They are worse than anything i have seen so far in this thread :p

I just haven't found a way to get a picture of them lol (Or a good excuse)

I cant believe I hadn't seen this thread before

I don't have much else to say other than my stomach hurts a little... well more then a little

Wow!

First I cannot beleive that this thread has been going for over five years. And whats more.... GROSS! I cannot beleive that people let their systems get like that. I have a window and big LED and Cold Cathode lights to show me if my rig gets too dusty. Absolutely repulsive Pics. Delightful.

Ancient thread revival!

How do you kill a c2d based laptop? Let it get like this, let it shut down from over heating, then boot it back up and continue this cycle for weeks.

yuck1.jpg

yuck2.jpg

Ancient thread revival!

How do you kill a c2d based laptop? Let it get like this, let it shut down from over heating, then boot it back up and continue this cycle for weeks.

untill the hdd burns out or headcrashes from the heat inside the laptop, and *then* they call their friendly nerd to replace it, only to find out it gets smoking hot and fails...

removed a similar hairball, closed it, returned to fine working order, friend happy :)

oh dear, that is bad, i wish i hadn't cleaned out my old socket A rig without taking any pictures, lets just say the motherboard must of been nice and toasty under that blanket...

BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! The thread that will not die! As it rises from its grave once again, this thread brings you DOGHAIRIMUS:

crypt200805.jpg

Yes, that's right - at the bottom of the case there lies a DEAD intake fan underneath the gruesome pile of rotting hair.

-The cryptkeeper

Reminds me of my bro's computer... it was terrible :O Not surprised at all he had overheating problems with his old AMD chip.

I hope that's photoshopped. Kinda makes me scared that maybe one day ill fix a pc like that/

It's not. I've seen worse. Sadly.
Hmm...these are almost all Dells.

That's one thing i can give to Dell. They hold up to dust amazingly well! Idk how, but they do it!
Ancient thread revival!

yuck1.jpg

yuck2.jpg

I just pulled a hairball like that out of my friend's laptop... cats :(

Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Once again, the cryptkeeper brings you graphic and gruesome tales from the darkest depths of your worst computer nightmares. BEHOLD! the Lint Creatures:

crypt5.jpg

Yes, Virginia, that is a fan grid under that festering pile...

crypt6.jpg

Like fallen snow, except grey and filthy...

crypt4.jpg

A more mild version, to help calm down the squeamish. Amazing the build up after ~10 years of running and never being cleaned...

now why is it when i went to the computer store yesterday they didnt know which cases had case filtering ? and why most cases dont think it is wanted?

i have been using the foam that wraps around a ShopVac , and it works pretty good, but all the new cases i did not even see a way to apply that method for easy filter cleaning.
at least they replaced the terrbile plastic filter with no-see-um screens (fine mesh metal or plastic filters). but none of the cases i wanted had both filtering, easy slide out cleaning of the filter, and front case sound dampening (or baffling).

Last edited:
Actually, both of the cases in the images above had pretty good case filters. If, however, you don't clean the filter for 10 years, (dust laden) air will find ways around it and into the interior of your case.

In terms of staying clean, rear-intake cases such as the Lian-Li PC-A05N outdo their front intake brethren significantly. I've noticed very little dust buildup in these cases as compared to any other.

wow that case is very different, for me it solves 2 problems creates 2 :)

solves the space problem by putting the psu where there is often more space
so i can work around the motherboard and install it without it being so tight.
but using up the space there for psu,there is not enough drive bays.

i use the psu fan normally to do 1/2 the case flow
with the reverse flow, i would need more fans, because i believe the Hard drives can stay cooler than the cpu. with a light flow of air across them passivly, that air is not to hot when it has to be used on the cpu. so i prefer the HD to be getting the coolest air first, Cpu and video card heat should have one direction of travel OUT :) and as quick as possible.

it has good front case closure, instead of listening to a fan (like all the new stuff), but I cant have the heat blowing on ME.
switch it around then switch the PSU fan around, hmmm

i do like the baffled front with vents, a silverstone had very quiet looking front, then turned around and has the top wide open ?? for ME 2 "sides" can be more open, the side facing away from me, and the back. which is original type designs, and how the Desk is made, and where the comptuer sits (near floor).

then price, once they got it all the way i like, the case was $300 :-(

i dont want a Roomba, a psu on the bottom, and because i want to utalise the psu fan for case cooling, i far prefer it stay where it was, removing the heat from the cpu pocket.
out of 45+ cases, the store had only 2 left with psu in that configuration :-(
The psu is hardest item to dust-out, many other things can collect dust, but psu should be furthest from dust if it is hardest to clean out? The PSU on the bottom, also shoves the MB up and puts the motherbaord connections higher. which doesnt fit in with my desk again, trying to move stuff around on the back.

very few filtered ALL input air, and had easy cleaning , every case i have re-modded completly, i have set up to filter all incomming air, with some way to clean it easily without pulling the computer or openeing the case. honestally i cant believe that 20+ years later, and only 2 manufactures have a plan. dust exists as long as people do thing like wear clothes :) go outside, move, and especially if you dont have a maid :)

now they are putting connetors on the top, fine access point, but they aim them so the dust settles right in the connector.
everything looks good in the store, but i am not falling for that anymore :)

Last edited:
Back