• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tales from the Crypt WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got to be careful with the compressors......

I just replaced the CPU for a friends daughters PC, her hubby used a compressor, I dont know what happened, maybe a static shock, but it ruined the CPU, which worked fine before that...

Not only that, you can actually blow off/ruin the components of the boards (musta been a bad solder joint or something for me) as this has happened to me. ruined some1's mobo this way; fyi 90psi is too much air pressure for cleaning. :clap:

Great thread, i do repair and the levels of dust/hair in the average case is amazing. Some1 asked why pc makers don't include fan filters... answer is so that your stuff overheats and dies, so you need to buy MOAR of their parts; job security essentially.

answer is so that your stuff overheats and dies, so you need to buy MOAR of their parts; job security essentially.
The real answer is they wouldn't clean either in the first place, so it doesn't really matter. The real question is why don't they take better care of their hardware? ;)

Oh yeah, a spider got into my last computer and had been dragging its victims under my hard drive bay. I found a couple mummified flies that were really difficult to vacuum out.

I thought you were going to say that the spider caused a short or something. Interesting, but not computer related story; There are two light switches by my front door, side by side in the same housing. I heard a loud POP followed by buzzing come from there one day, and then my lights went out. I completely turned off all power to my house, and unscrewed the cover and investigated with a flashlight. I found a single strand of spider silk strung between the light switches, making contact with a wire on either side of the two switches. There was one single spider leg still stuck to the web, a lot of blackened copper and plastic, and the charred remains of a 7 legged spider curled up in the bottom of the housing.

Some of these are truly awful. I've never seen a pc get so dusty, I guess my grandmothers would if I didn't pull it aside and clean it every couple months along with mine, I just use a can of compressed air.

hafa -- you still around? Great thread you started. Truly nauseating.

We have birds -- African Grey, Senegal. Cockatoos are worse. When it ends up on my lint filters it makes me worry about what I'm breathing. But with modern cases that I chose for easy access to filters it's not too bad. And Having positive flow cases means we don't have bagless vacuum cleaners for cases. Weekly pass with a vacuum on the filters, monthly going into the cases and we're fine.

But my wife's Dell, though, is another matter. To clean that requires disassembling a case that doesn't look kindly on frequent opening. Gets ugly when I ofrget.

The big thing is that we really should have slide-out filters on all intakes to make it easy to service the filters. Even under the PSU the filters should slide to the side, not out the back. Wish folks would make cases that way.

from my HAF-X migration this past friday.

Attachments

• 2012-03-23 23.54.01.jpg
    2012-03-23 23.54.01.jpg
    902.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 2012-03-23 23.59.53.jpg
    2012-03-23 23.59.53.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 2012-03-24 02.18.02.jpg
    2012-03-24 02.18.02.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 363
I'm surprise some people never clean their system. It's a miracle that the system still boot up!

Thats just nasty. I had a client call me up, their computer was doing random reboots and shut downs. I told them to bring it over and I'll take a look. The rear case fan mesh was cut out by someone so the fan would exhaust better. so they think.
The fan was was missing a fan blade, No wonder it was vibrating the desk. So I open it up and it's full of dust, then looking at the bottom of the case, I know where the fan blade went, it was eaten my a mouse as there was mouse dropping inside the on the bottom of the case and a dead mouse under the HDD.
I kept that system in the garage and called them up, Told them Im not even going to clean this, it's dead and this is why. So they had me build them a new P4 comp. It WAS the worst comp I had ever seen. I wish I had a digital camera back then or a phone with a cam. I would have taken pics

lol holy **** that is bad :) when i was at shop we had a lady come in who owns a dog sanctuary she hadnt cleaned her pc for 5 years and was complaining of it making funny noises when we opened the case it was full of dog hairs and when i say full i mean full you couldnt see anything i whish i had taken pictures :) that was the worst one ever :) amazingly with a hoover out and new fans / cooler it was fine :)

Not much cooling happening on this poor old Northwood. Customer was saying the computer was being deathly slow after it was on for 10 or so minutes.

20120718_222524.jpg

Back