• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tales from the Crypt WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is one of the dirtiest PC's I've seen lately.

The owner has been running the PC for 6-7 years now, and has never cleaned it out. In fact, they didn't even know it was possible to get to the inside of the computer.

Notice the dust "carpet" on the power supply vents.

03292013058.jpg

Up next is one of the dirtiest video cards I've ever seen. Underside of heatsink/fan area just covered in what appears to be either dog or cat hair and dander as well as dust.

DSCN2750.JPG

DSCN2751.JPG

The owner has been running the PC for 6-7 years now, and has never cleaned it out. In fact, they didn't even know it was possible to get to the inside of the computer.

My mom thought the same thing, that a computer was just 1 solid part, lol.

Top mounted PSUs are so rare, Q_Q, seems like it would be better up there, wish they'd be more common. So dirty tho.

Its not just computers that suffer though, my brother used to smoke in his room with the windows closed all the time.

One day (Christmas day in fact) his PS3 packed up, so he gave it to me when i came down to fix it, i dismantled it, and the laser assembly was actually dark yellow from nicotine stains, plenty of alcohol rubbing later it worked good as new.

Oh my GOD! How aweful. Who are these savages that allow this?!!!

"Viewer Discretion is Advised" Should be added to the title of this thread.

i should post pix of the next dell dimension 3000 some one brings me lol! they are all pretty damn bad.

I wish I still had pics of an old Shuttle that I worked on. It was a 1700+ Palomino with a heat pipe design to have the heatsink on the back of the case with a 92MM fan. The heat sink was completely clogged to the point you couldn't see light through it, nor feel air moving through it. It was brought in because it wouldn't stay on, would get into windows and last about 5 minutes and shut off. I got this thing pulled a part to clean the heat sink, and when I popped it off the CPU, it was caked edge to edge with white compound, not only the die, but the WHOLE cpu. I think that is by far the worst I have seen.

Having a small, 2-3 gallon electric air compressor is great if you work computers.

Smoker PCs are the worst.

I had one where the tar from the smoke made caused a really bad dust build up inside the PC. I had to handwash the heatsink to get the gunk out.

I've also had smoker's PC cause the plastic inside them to be very brittle to a point where I made an IDE cable break and a fan blade from the cpu heatsink shatter.

Imagine what your lungs look like...

I'd imagine of someone smoked at there PC it would be quite awful inside, I always smoke outside so I don't stink the house out but my lungs feel fine thanks :p I am the fittest one in my family and my extended family !

The first laptop i ever took apart was caked full of dust and it was disgusting, i needed a vacuum to get all the dust out of the fan filter and the CPU rad fins. Another tim my Nanny (english grandmother.. not that rich... xD) Gave me her old Acer Aspire T-320 and there was a good CM thick layer of dust on the bottom of it, and she didn't know you had to clean the inside of the PC... It's a good PC though i have to say! :D Got it all cleaned out and working now, and i plan to use er' as a Web server. :)

Slight dead threading, but when I used to do PC repair, I had a customer bring their computer in for the same reason as the OP's customer. It wasn't dusty, since we weren't living in a dusty area, but it was gunked to all hell. The cpu fan was so caked with nicotine slime that I could follow the blades with my eyes when it tried to spin. I actually told them the fan was dead and that they needed a new one. I wasn't touching it. :p

Slight dead threading, but when I used to do PC repair, I had a customer bring their computer in for the same reason as the OP's customer. It wasn't dusty, since we weren't living in a dusty area, but it was gunked to all hell. The cpu fan was so caked with nicotine slime that I could follow the blades with my eyes when it tried to spin. I actually told them the fan was dead and that they needed a new one. I wasn't touching it. :p

You didn't lie. That fan had an overdose of nicotine.

Slight dead threading, but when I used to do PC repair, I had a customer bring their computer in for the same reason as the OP's customer. It wasn't dusty, since we weren't living in a dusty area, but it was gunked to all hell. The cpu fan was so caked with nicotine slime that I could follow the blades with my eyes when it tried to spin. I actually told them the fan was dead and that they needed a new one. I wasn't touching it.

Wonder if weed smoke and other kinds of smoke hurts your computer like that... or if its just nicotine

Last edited:
Wonder if weed smoke and other kinds of smoke hurts your computer like that... or if its just nicotine

I think so I fixed a person who I think smokes weed (he does not smoke nicotine)
and it was nasty just as bad as normal smoke
to make it worse
cat hair! and cologne!
it was just gross

guys just don't smoke! its bad for you, your computer and everyone else you love! :thup:

It's all about residue. If something is burning cleanly, it won't produce smoke at all. As long as there's smoke, there will be residue.

Back