• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tales from the Crypt WARNING! GRAPHIC IMAGES!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dell XPS I brought back to life. Doubled the ram, added Corsair power, clean out with fresh TIM under heatsink heatpipe no less!...Thing runs pretty good now fresh OS install. Gets 136mb a sec on AIDA HD read test! From a WD blue!...lol..

002.JPG

Eeeeew Dell

The PSU always seems to go in the Dell's...

EDIT:

Incidentally, if you set all of your fans blowing out (no intakes) would there be no dust buildup inside your PC?

Last edited:
Air has to get inside the PC somehow, whether it's from fans or not. Air would be sucked in from any cracks and crevasses in the case's construction, along with dust.

I think equal air in and out with dust filters on the intakes would be pretty good at keeping dust at a minimum.

A customer who is a smoker and cat fancier brought his machine into the shop yesterday, complaining of spontaneous reboots. The reason is shown below and it ain't pretty. Thought everyone would get a kick out of this.

And... doesn't it smell inside the case! I fixed a PC for a "friend of a friend" and urgh was disgusting. Also, the PC had this RAM which I've never seen before. Think it was DDRX RAM, had to go in matched pairs. One stick would not ever boot due to the design.

These are the same people who's cars are always breaking down, who's other electronics likely never work right, they dont bother to think , mmm, i need to take care of this thing once in a while!

And... doesn't it smell inside the case! I fixed a PC for a "friend of a friend" and urgh was disgusting. Also, the PC had this RAM which I've never seen before. Think it was DDRX RAM, had to go in matched pairs. One stick would not ever boot due to the design.

That's why I always reply with an "of course! let me tell you about my fees!" when it concerns the friend of a friend.

These are the same people who's cars are always breaking down, who's other electronics likely never work right, they dont bother to think , mmm, i need to take care of this thing once in a while!

Nailed it. This guy continuously refilled his car's coolant tank because it was obviously leaking. Yet he refused to accept that there was a leak somewhere.

Also, the PC had this RAM which I've never seen before. Think it was DDRX RAM, had to go in matched pairs. One stick would not ever boot due to the design.

Sounds like EDO DRAM with SIMMs. (From roughly 1995 to roughly 1997) Those require 2 sticks to be installed.

Back