• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP slow shutdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jemrekk

Registered
For some unknown reason my computer is now taking almost a full minute to shutdown when before it would take seconds. Im using xp pro and was wondering if there is a way i could make it shut down faster?

In addition, there's a couple things I changed on my system (afa improving the shutdown time) that might also be of some help to you. First, disable the "Nvidia Driver Helper Service" by typing services.msc /s in the Run box | Find the service listing in the RH pane, right click and select "Properties". In the "Startup type" field, select "Disabled" from the drop down menu and click OK.

Next, type gpedit.msc /s in the Run box | Navigate to Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options. In the RH pane, look for "Shutdown: Clear virtual memory pagefile" | Right click and select "Properties" | Click the "Enabled" radio button and click OK. ;)

Regardless of shut down time, those memory tweaks [Disable Paging Executive, Large System Cache] make a huge difference. I may notice it more since I have 512Mb of Crucial CL2 RAM @ 156MHz FSB. None the less, great stuff to mess with.

Thanks for the comments guys, but I tried using those tweaks and they still arnt helping. I have a p4 1.8 with an asus p4t-e board 512 of pc800 rambus and a g-force4 mx card. Last month it was shuting down very quickly, but for some reason it now hangs for a long time before shutting down. I havent changed anything that i can think of. Any other ideas?

Your profile is too big!
clean Temporary Inet Files and garbage in you profile

..../yourName/Local settings/Temp

That didnt work either... I know there is definitely something wrong cuz my p3 750 also has xp pro and it shuts down in 1/20th the time it takes my p4 1.8...

Can I ask why you need such a speedy shutdown time? Why not just leave it after you select shutdown?
Well if worse comes to worse here is a guide to the ultimate shutdown!
1. Locate the power button on your comp
2. press and hold it down for 3 sec.!

Congratulations! you've just shut down your comp in 3 seconds! LOL :D j/k
You can do that if you want. It doesn't really make that much of a difference. However, you'll sacrifice time on your boot up... running scandisk...haha!

beezee said:
Can I ask why you need such a speedy shutdown time? Why not just leave it after you select shutdown?
Well if worse comes to worse here is a guide to the ultimate shutdown!
1. Locate the power button on your comp
2. press and hold it down for 3 sec.!

Congratulations! you've just shut down your comp in 3 seconds! LOL :D j/k
You can do that if you want. It doesn't really make that much of a difference. However, you'll sacrifice time on your boot up... running scandisk...haha!

:) , ok here is my way, based on the guide from beezee, to start sleeping quick, without to count to 100. Take a hammer ... 3secs and you are sleeping... ;) ;) :clap:

2 Jemrekk: see my slogan right down ;)

Back