• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Answer PLEASE!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Penguin4x4

Are you my Daddy?
Does anyone know if Southwestern Bell's POP and SMTP Servers are down???? My mom is trying to use her e-mail, and every time she press send, OE alerts that smtp.sbcglobal.net and/or pop.sbcglobal.net cannot be found. WTF?!?!!?!!?!?!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

They don't return ping requests. I'd say that they're down.

pingreturn.jpg

Yeah, that's what I've been gettin as. This should explain why my FTP Clients haven't been able to connect...Argh!:mad::mad:

Always do a traceroute instead of a ping. ICMP (ping) responces can be turned off by most routers and your pings will time out even if they are up and online.

I believe that some firewalls can kill traceroutes, also. ;)
edit: But this is a good point--a traceroute will allow you to see exactly where the break in the link is. :)

It's a special kind of ping, where each router (hop) that the signal goes through sends back a message, saying what it is, it's IP address, how long it took to ping, etc.

Direct from my CCNA curriculum:

"trace:
Command that uses Time-To-Live (TTL) values to generate messages from each router used along the path. This is very powerful in its ability to locate failures in the path from the source to the destination."

:D
I hope this answers your question. :)

Hmmmmmmm........seeems to die @ 152.63.23.217

PING: transmit failed, error code 65

Damn Yankee's!!!

Back