• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Back in action (almost fully)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FeralCom

Had a hard past few months. Was away from home 2 months and had 2 rigs go out while away. One was a water cooling tragedy (pump went out and fried my mobo) and my Dual rig (BP6 566 x 2) has developed a temperamental short. Along with power outages and other problems, I was down to an average of 1 system folding for the past 5 months or so. This made me take a hard hit in rank and I slipped down to almost 300.

The past few days I have rebuilt and back online. Currently, I have 4 machines at a total of around 7.8GHz folding. This has shot me back to number 230 and I climb 4-5 spots a day. By end of this week, I should have 2 others up for a total of 7 CPUs for a total of 9.7GHz.

By months end, I will have the last 2 systems on my farm for a total of 9 CPUs and just shy of 12Ghz (full time).

I would love to run more, but I will have a change of jobs in February and it is getting warm in here. I am also worried about the circuit load. Anyway, I am back and sorry about my leave of absence.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but looks like you coped and conquered.

Never a reason to apologize for an absence...afterall, you did come home.

Welcome back and FOLD ON!

Welcome back FeralCom! I appreciate you taking the time and spending the money to get those rigs back up again.. So what are the CPU's specifically? And why were you away from home for so long? :beer:

CPUs will be

1 AMD XP 2200+
1 AMD XP 1800+
1 AMD XP 1700+
1 AMD XP 1600+
1 AMD Athlon 1200
1 Duron 800
2 Celeron 566
1 Celeron 466

All of these are in my home and most are currently overclocked (I need to unlock a couple and get more cooling). Also in the mix is a P4 1.5 at work and another Duron 800 that a friend is using (I make them keep the F@H program running).

There are many things that kept me away. First, when my water-cooled rig went out, I was so ticked I almost chunked all my stuff. Then work had me away for a few months for class and stuff went down or locked up while I was gone.

When I got back, I was on the 1200 as a main, the 1800 was fried (or so I thought), the Dualy wouldn’t boot up and my KVM switch stopped working. It was too much for me to handle (mentally and financially) with everything else going on.

After a break, I ordered the 2200 and set it up as my main. I then ordered the 1600 to replace the 1800, but learned that the CPU was fine. The MB had gone out. So I ordered a cheap MB and threw it in there.

I tackled the Dual 566 and finally got it to boot at work. However, when I brought it home and it was dead again. I am almost sure that the short is in one of the PCI slots and I can get it back up. The Celeron 466 is waiting on some memory and I just ordered the 1700+ because I had an extra case (which I have 8 of the same case).

With limited time and money, it is not easy to get a system up and going. Most sit on a shelf and are not easy to get to when things don’t go right. I somewhat eliminated the KVM problem buy running XP remote desktop, but I just don’t have the money to buy more copies of XP and I still need the KVM for Linux. Running 6+ computers with only 2 monitors didn’t turn out to be as trouble-free as I originally thought.

All the systems have functions other than Folding, but that is all most do 90% of the time.

we are certainly glad to have you back up and folding away with us, harder than ever feral! Sorry to hear about the comp problems, but good to hear you got most of them worked out! looking forward to seeing you around the forums!

FOLD ON
NAS

Sounds like things have really come around Feralcom. Its great for the team and for folding...but maybe not so good for me. It looks like you could give me a run for my money. I am currently in 166th, but still making sure that all systems are folding properly though. I also just added a couple more machines so my weekly output should be going up. Output should be about 12GHz here too (one machine not full time though)...don't make me add another machine to keep you at bay! I'll be keeping my eye on you now though. Good luck and happy folding.

Back