• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmr89gt

Registered
Anyone have this board yet? just looking for opinions on it. Not sure whether to go for that or the A7N8X. Does it have the ability to automatically unlock the tbred B's like the Asus?

Thanks in advance

I guess no one has it yet? Am I going to have to be the guinea pig? :)

thanks for the replies...I had read the anandtech article but only remembered them saying that the Asus could unlock them and i didnt think they said whether or not the abit could. I will go check out the abit forums....it never occured to me that there are other forums on the internet besides this one :)

Yeah so am I, i am unsure of weather i want to go with abit or asus on this....

Matt

Yes, I was correct. The Abit NF7-S can unlock tbred B's in BIOS. Refer to this article:

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=464&page=4

or this post by an Abit forum Administrator:

http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?threadid=538

Interestingly, in my poking around on this, I guess there are some VIA KT400 boards that can unlock the tbred B in BIOS as well (ie. the Epox 8k9A2+). This gives credence to the piece I read stating that unlocking the tbred B is done by simply grounding one of the pins in the socket so I guess its the mobo design and not the BIOS that does this. Either way, the NF7-S is looking sweeter and sweeter. Epox, I hear however, has been having some quality control probs....

I just put one together, fast as hell.... I have a KR7A, 2200, 1gb ram, Leadtek TI 4600 and the NF7-S has a 1900, 8X OTES card TI 4200, and it is just as fast as my 2200 box!

The 8X seems to amke a big diff in video performance, the TI 4200 8X pulled 225 MB/sec on pcpitstop, where my 4X TI 4600 pulled 148.

It seems to be running really well. SO far I would highly recommend the NF7-S. Right now I am just dealing with 1 beep code right at start-up, not sure if that is normal, and cant seem to find a solution yet. (see my post below).

Good luck with your choice

So does your NF7-S have the four holes around the socket for mounting cooling gear and the like? I hear that the first few thousand won't but that eventually they will. Curious to know.

Thanks for all the responses. I have read a lot about how people can not get this board over 185 fsb, which has me questioning it. How high did you get the bus speed?

I do not see any holes around the socket,..........I have not tried really overclocking this setup; as I built it for someone else. I really dont have the cooling set-up for high overclocking

Well I have this board, and it runs great. I haven't had a single problem, and I have it running @ 200MHz FSB. No mounting holes, which is unfortunate, but it didn't matter to me. The thing with forums is that the only time anybody posts anything is when they are having problems. The rest of us are to busy enjoying our newfound performance. I highly recommend this board to anyone looking for a NF2 board:cool:

glad to here it doing good for you

Can you tell me what hard drives you are running and are you useing serial raid?I have heard the raid function does not work
with maxer drives.

I'm using a 40GB Maxtor ATA 133, but no RAID. Never really liked RAID too much. I've heard the same thing, that the Maxtor drives don't work with SATA RAID. I wonder if it's just the NF7-S boards or if it has something to do with the RAID cotroller chip?

Back