• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1800+ temperature on MSI K7N2G (nForce2)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehlr

Registered
I just installed an Athlon 1800+ on a K7N2G and was wondering about the temperatures as reported by PCAlert4 (comes with the board, so I assume it's configured for the proper diodes, etc).

CPU is running at stock speed, stock voltage, stock everything (ie- not OC'd)

CPU temp:
Idle: ~55 deg C
Load: ~62 deg C (+7 deg C)

Sys temp:
Idle: ~35 deg C
Load: ~38 deg C (+3 deg C)

Does this look alright? It seems a little high, but then again the temperature deltas between idle and load are fairly low.

Everything's stable, I was just curious what others thought of the temperature readings. Thanks.

Should have posted this in the MSI Motherboard Forum but I know on my old MSI KT3 Ultra2 they placed the 'Chassis' temperature sensor right underneath the AGP slot which would result in way off Case temps not sure if the sensor is in the same place or just relocated. Don't know about the CPU temperature tho....you sure your heatsink is making good contact and seated correctly.

Those temps seem a bit high to me. I'd check and see if the heatsink is seated properly on the cpu, that can cause high temps if it is not seated properly. I would also go on msi's website and see if there is an update for PCAlert. Sometimes the diodes can give wrong readings. You should be okay bacause AMD processors are able to withstand 70 degrees celsius with no problems.
Hope this helps!

- eplayer

The most version of PCAlert is installed.

Normally I would be concerned, but like I mentioned, the temperature changes between idle and load aren't very high. I would expect if the heatsink weren't mounted, the load temperatures would skyrocket far beyond the idle temperatures, but they don't. I wasn't sure if this temperature is typical of this setup

The 1800+ is using an unmodified AMD retail HSF with arctic silver compound, btw.

toxik co2 said:
Should have posted this in the MSI Motherboard Forum
What is this your day to tell everyone where to post there threads dont be such an A**:mad:

I have a TBredB 1700+ and it won't go over 36C at full load using a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C.

Sometimes the temperature reading is correct, but it is taken from a different location than most. I would shut my computer down if I ever saw the temp go to 62C. Hopefully it is just reading the temp from a different location.

Before i got my water system, i would get reports of skyrocketing temps, 60's-70's. I always blamed a bad sensor, heck if it was that hot i would have all kinds of stability issues, right?

After i installed the water, i get 28c as a low and 34c as a high. Hmmm, guess it WAS reading correctly after all. I'd start looking for something other than a retail hs/f soon.

What is this your day to tell everyone where to post there threads dont be such an A**

heheheh, KerPOW!

Back