• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drawbacks to NF-7 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToledoSteel

I am looking to pick up a new motherboard and this is the one in my sites. Are there any signifigant drawbacks to this board? Or is there another board that is better? I have read that the slk-900 doesn't really fit, what about a waterblock?

The only other thing I am curious if this will support the new AMD proc's. like the barton and the 2800 and 3000 etc. I know this is not listed as an approved mobo by AMD.

Well go ahead and encourage or discourage me.

The BIOS update issue is one thing that will make me stay away from the it. With what's available on the market right now you will just have to pick one that has the least amount of headaches.

Sonny said:
The BIOS update issue is one thing that will make me stay away from the it. With what's available on the market right now you will just have to pick one that has the least amount of headaches.
are you talking about the bios coruption issue or the lack of voltages available in the bios?

BIOS Corruption is what I am reffering to as it is a component issue that can only be fixed by yet another revision.

What about the new AMD chips that are out like barton at 3000 and higher. Does this mobo support that, i forgot how many variables there are between boards. There is no perfect board i swear.

drewthomas14 said:

you cant really ,except if you buy from www.excaliberpc.com edit: i didnt notice that they were only selling the nf7-m with revison 1.2
No actually if you hit the next button you'd see the s version and they also added the non s version last night... I just ordered the -s version last night...

What are all the different versions NF7 / NF7-S / NF7-M. Is the NF7 just the barebones version of the board? I already have video and sound cards to put in the board.

Sonny said:
BIOS Corruption is what I am reffering to as it is a component issue that can only be fixed by yet another revision.

And you are sure of this How ???

Please provide a link.

Shad

sonny i think its a little deeper than just a revision fix.
first off its both software and a hardware issue.the bios is to large and is having a hard time on a small cmos.its nvidias blunder not any mobo makers.

this is all speculation as of yet until nvidia fesses up.no mobo maker really is to blame.but every NF2 mobo suffers this,and from what i notice the more feature packed the mobo is the worse this corruption gets.

i see a few ways around this.
1.get the basic package mobo,no deluxe or +'s
2.buy a spare bios chip.many places have these or a flash kit that can do it.
3.find a friend with a dead mobo and get the bios chip out and "hot flash" it.this is not for the faint of heart or beginer!

TimeCop said:
4. Send it back to the manufacture (Pain in the *** I know.)
unfortunatly thats very true and most peoples only option.

it does seem ive been reading today nvidia has admitted the problem and blamed the mobo makers for leaving a jumper off the mobo,but are working with the makers to do bios fixs now.

I've been shoppin for a board recently too, the one that caught my eye is the MSI K7N2-L , most, if not every review i've seen on it has nothing but good things to say about it, and it looks like it's a lil better performancewise than most of the boards out right now.

I agree that most N-force based mobo's get rave reviews. But people here have a lot more working knowledge of the boards. I don't care what THG says if everyone thinks the chipset sucks. I think I will give it a go.

So basically you only have a problem on bios update?

Agent420 said:
I've been shoppin for a board recently too, the one that caught my eye is the MSI K7N2-L , most, if not every review i've seen on it has nothing but good things to say about it, and it looks like it's a lil better performancewise than most of the boards out right now.
im not gonna say its a bad mobo as im sure its not.but understand one BIG thing.only a few mobo makers make mobos for oc'ers mainly in mind.asus,abit and epox. there are some exceptions i know,but mainly this is a fact not even an opinion.

buy what you want,and you might be very happy too.but when you want to really oc moderatly or hardcore check those 3 makers out.and not all there stuff is even upto snuff to oc'ers needs.

Back