• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wild_andy_c, please read.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I've seen you get your FSB to over 200 before. How are you doing this? Do you run these systems without ANY PCI cards? I am just wondering because I can never seem to get over 146. What kind of cooling do you use on your chipset? I lapped my HSF on my chipset and never go over 23C system temps. TELL ME YOUR SECRET!!

he is using the new dividers on the Epox motherboard, now how he gets his ram that high......

What drivers? I have installed the newest I've seen on the driver page of epox.com and I cannot get mine remotely close.

the Epoz mobo has support now for a /5 and I fairly sure a /6 pci divider.

That's great, but I have tried 166 and 167 and I can get NO post at all. I get a post at 147-150 but I will get a windows BSOD stating system haulted very quickly before I even get to my logon. I use WinME.

With the new PCI divisors the only problems are that of the CPU and memory. Since, the the cpu multiplier can just be lowered its just the memory. PC-2700 memory is made for use for 166 Mhz systems, but it might be able to make 200 Mhz, that would be awesome. So you need to download the new beta drivers with the new divisors, and get some high-perfomance memory.

Lets play 200Mhz FSB !!!

The "new" BIOS that has been around for a few weeks now that enables 1/5 and 1/6 PCI dividers.

1/5 divider kicks in at 166Mhz, 1/6 divider kicks in at 208Mhz - but thats a distant dream.

This is all part of the mission of AMD to get the chipset to be a true and official 166Mhz FSB or 200Mhz FSB as part of some standard. More work on that will ensue at a later date I'm sure.

You need some very special memory. PC2400 Corsair is available, however PC2700 like the Nanya I use in my 8K7A is not available on a retail basis (well - it may be but I know of none myself) - at the moment it's a bit of an industry toy.

I have tried Crucial memory with very unagressive timings and acheived 181Mhz FSB in the 8K7A, I'm quite hopeful that the Corsair PC2400 should do 200Mhz.

Remember that with a minimum multiplier of 6 or 6.5 (BIOS and board revision dependent) your chip that you are overclocking must be able to achieve whatever speed you are attempting (6.5 x 200 = 1300Mhz remember).

What you really wanna try doing to begin is dropping your multiplier right down as far as you can (some chips really don't like being forced too low - they default to 7.5 or 8.0x in those circumstances), raise your memory voltage to approximatley 2.75v by monitor (don't blame me if it goes bang), use thermal take Ram sinks - give the CPU some ral voltage (2.00v) and then go for it - More FSB, reboot, more FSB, reboot, more FSB........ that is all I do. I ain't no genius. Just a lucky warrior !

> I have tried Crucial memory with very
> unagressive timings and acheived 181Mhz FSB
> in the 8K7A

Do you recall what those "very unagressive" timings were? I can't get my Crucial stable at 167 Mhz but I've only tried with the memory set to 'auto' because I really don't know what all those memory timings are. I read elsewhere that 8-8-8-3-7-2.5-3 might be the slowest timings. Any idea?

I haven't got the 8K7A in a case at present - the 8KHA has pride of place at the moment (more stability at high wattage demanding speeds)

Ok, I lowered my multiplier to 10.5 and got my FSB to 150 at present on +.3 VIO and 1.9vcore. Seems to be pretty stable at the moment. I am thinking somewhere in the low 1.6gigs are the stopping point of my overclockability on this CPU. I am at 1575 now and temps are decreasing a little sinse I lowered the vcore by .1. Hmm, maybe I can get my FSB to 155 slowly with only the +.3 VIO. We shall see....

Just want to tell anyone that is looking into buying Corsair PC2400 that I couldn't get above 166Mhz on it no matter how slow I set the RAM, I even tried going to 2.9V. I have some crucial on the way, hopefully it will change things!!! I think I got a bad stick, but just wanted everyone to know.

Looks like my Crucial 256 PC2100 is actually PC2400 CAS2 RAM. This is awsome. I just hit 11k on 3DMark2000 and 6303 on 3DMark2001. My ALU is 685 and FPU is 915 on my RAM scores in Sandra. My CPU is slower then before when I had it at 11x146(1605) but she actually runs MUCH smoother and faster now with the faster FSB. I never could have known that such a faster FSB would make such a difference. WOW.

Back