• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aronmartin

Hello,

I am new to the board here, I figured I should start by getting my system cool. Right now my system is stock, except for 2 extra fans in the case. I have been looking at many cpu coolers ect. I don't know what to get, Coolermaster jet 4 looks pretty good to me but I don't know. My system temps now are aproximately 82 F case temp and 107 F Cpu temp.

Is my sytem a good candidate for OC?

Thanx in advance

I'm partial to thermalright heatsinks. They're big simple and 100% pure coppper. If money is not an issue, Thermalright SP-94. Features an integreated heatpipe, slap whatever 80mm or 92mm fan on it you want.

Slightly less expensive, but performing within 5 C are the SLK-947U and the SLK-800U. The 800 only accepts 80mm fans (I'd use an 80mm Smart Fan II on any of these). The Vantec Aeroflow is another good one, but nowhere near as good as Thermalright. Don't forget some Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique. Also you must remove your mobo to install these heatsinks (except the aeroflow).

And finally,

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

WOoo...too much bright color! :D

From what I see you look like you have a good cantidate for Over Clocking! That mobo will handle 100 to 400 fsb settings with lockable AGP/PCI freq and dual chanel DDR.

Two words...Have Fun!

BTW Welcome To the Forums!

Thanks for the quick responses and friendly welcome! I will look in to the thermalright products are they noisy? What opinions do you have about tec/peltier style coolers? Thanks again

I like the thermalrigh HS's though I do not own one. As for the noise levels, well they depend on the fan for the most part. General rule of thumb: "The biger the fan, The greater the air flow @ lower speeds" and lower speeds = quite running. Also look at the sound rating on the fans.

You may want to look at someting like an Enermax 92mm adjustable. I have one on my MCX 4000 that is quiet and works great. What I've seen about the tec/peltier style coolers is that they aren't worth it. Some of the tests Ive seen even show them running hotter than the thermalright or swiftech heatsinks... Also some of them need an extra power supply...I would steer clear of that crap.

Finally after alot of researching I have goodies coming for my rig! :D I got a thermalright sp-94, 92mm enermax fan, Vantec nxp-205-bk, 2 enermax 120mm fans for case, Arctic Silver 5, and some round ide cables. Thanx for the advice! I have oc'd up to 2.76 ghz, now I just have to wait for my parts

I put a plexi-glass window in my side panel and got a uv light in there.

Maybe I will post some pics when I am finished.

Sweet!

BTW If your still woried about the fan noise you could look into gettin a fan controller to slow the fan speed down.

Back