• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would appreciate your 2nd opinions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I haven't been around much lately and I feel somewhat out of the loop, so I would appreciate it if someone would kick me in the face if I'm messing up. Thank you. :)

I'm about to purchase the nf7-s for $101, mobile2500+ for $95, and mushkin black L2 for $141 everything from Newegg.

I assume there isn't anything I really need to know about using a mobile 2500+ other than that it's unlocked unlike regular bartons. This is my main concern.

Are there significant quirks or such that I should be aware of about the nf7-s?

I was considering the DFI ULTRA INFINITY mobo for $93 as its very comparable to the nf7-s and I have no need for the soundstorm audio. Opinions?

Am I making the right choice in RAM?

Ideally I'd like to end up around 2.5Ghz.

Last edited:
If no need for sound and looking for the area of 250fsb get the DFI if you want pure clock for clock performance and dont care to sit @ about 220fsb or so get the nf7-s. As for the mobile 2500 I really dunno much about them havn't bought one myself yet.

For ram if you can get ahold of some BH-5 chips that would be your best for ram IMO. I have 4x256 of them myself and all run very well. The 1x512 stick of bh-5 I have really isn't that great tho. I have heard that some of the newier pc3500 hyperx is doing low timing now like 2 2 2 where as before the werent and they where ch-5 chip's.

I've owned both boards and can say the DFI wipes the floor with the NF7 in every area. The NF7 won't let you enable the CPU interface if you use a multi of 10 or 10.5 which results in lower memory bandwidth. The DFI responds well to either CH5 or BH5 chips however I'd say you've got the right idea with Level 2 sticks as they're the best of the best and are the only surefire source of BH5. The DFI also does not have the Interface problem of the NF7.

~THT

Thank you very much for both of your responses - very helpful.

It appears that there aren't any secrets about 2500+M's that I should know about either.

Thanks guys. If anyone else wants to pipe in feel free, but it sounds like I'm not messing anything up too bad.

Well given recent developments, along with Maxvla's patronizing tone ( :mad: ) in another thread, it looks like come this summer I will have the necessary funding and will actually wait to upgrade to an a64 instead. I thought I would have to settle for this upgrade but I'll be building some computer for my grandparents and selling some parts from my old computer and then I'll have enough money, barely, to get what I really want.

I've heard reference to a "mobile trick" though which I'm still kind of curious about... back to searching for me.

Back