• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp v Noise? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tecy

Registered
iv got a Lian Li 6083 tower that has the following fans. 1X back 1x top 2x front. 1x window. Im controlling 4 fans with a sunbeam 4 bay controller. Im cooling my Oc 2800+ with a Volcano 12 Extreem. Ok now thats out the way I will continue.

Iv used Artic Silver 5 and have notice hardly any difference in temp and only from laping my Heat sink mailny.

My Temp just typing this now is 51c. Here is a pic of my probe monitor.

probe.jpg

These temp are not exceptable at all. I have my fans at a level louder than I can have during the night if I leave my pc on.

Whats up with my PC?

Last edited:
I would carefully re-do the heat sink set up.Putting on an extreamly thin coating of AS-5. I would also run with the case side off and a small fan pushing fresh air in it to see if it lowers the temps. You are at 28c system temp that is warm.

Usually we throw a 47cfm fan on a heat sink and do not account for the needed air intake this fan will need to constantly force fresh air over the heat sink.SO look at that asppect with the few ideas I have or others people have used..

I have an Sk-7, and with only 20cfm I get less than those temps. Increase your case airflow, and make sure you have a fan pushing fresh air near your cpu.

Pictures speak louder than words! maybe you can see a problem with the Air Flow.

front.jpg
top.jpg
main.jpg

In that last picture the red fan is pulling away from the tt hsf. Your basically creating unneeded resistance. Flip that red one to intake and watch your temps drop.

What you mean have the red cpu fan blowing air onto the heat sink intead of withdrawing the heat out the case?

At the moment the red fan is blowing heat directly to the case window fan and out.

I'd recheck your heatsink setup. Perhaps it's unseated firmly or backwards even. I've done this myself once
-fat

tecy said:
What you mean have the red cpu fan blowing air onto the heat sink intead of withdrawing the heat out the case?

At the moment the red fan is blowing heat directly to the case window fan and out.
Yup...Trust me, switch that red case fan to intake and you'll be pleasently surprised...

Your cpu fan pushes air onto the heatsink, I think. Judging by the fin shape. I suspect that if you just unplug that side fan you will get better temperatures and if you reverse it you will get even better temperatures yet.

First I would try getting rid of the dust. :)

Second I would try switching the side fan around so it's blowing in. Maybe duct the side fan so air is blowing directly toward the HS.

Not too sure how accurate Asus Probe is, try using MBM?

In that last picture the red fan is pulling away from the tt hsf. Your basically creating unneeded resistance. Flip that red one to intake and watch your temps drop.

ElectroX has a very good idea here. I have an 80mm Vantec Tornado which I attached to the side panel of my case opposite the CPU (had to mod a bit to do this). I was using a stock AMD hsf at the time which pulls air up and through the heatsink and towards the wall of the case. Naturally, I thought it made more sense to set the side fan to exhaust, so I did.

I replaced the stock AMD fan with a Kingwin that blows down onto the heatsink instead. With this set up, my computer was still running 60C. (That one is an a7a266, so it just runs hot, not much can be done about it.) I noticed that when I turned down my fan controller on the tornado, my temps went down! I realized the tornado was taking all the air the cpu fan needed, so I flipped the tornado around to blow down onto the hsf providing it with cool air from outside the case. My temps dropped from 60C to 54C, and the higher I turn the tornado on (using a Sunbeam controller) the lower my temps go.

I would suggest making your hsf and your exhaust fan blow in the same direction, creating one long tunnel of air.

Ok Iv reversed the CPU fan and reversed the side fan so cool air is being blown into the cpu fan which the cpu is drawing directly to the Heatsink.

Problem is that the heat is now pushed out the HS fins onto the memory and a small about to the motherboard chipset. it only realy hits the MB heat sink when hi intesive tasks like doing a burn test in sandra 2004 rises to 34c.

:)
reversed.jpg

Good new is that the results at the same usage and fan speed are lower!

after.jpg

Thanks it has seemed to work! to my shock!

You had just about the same drop in temp I had. I was equally amazed. It does make sense though, you don't want the two fans fighting against each other.

Glad it worked.

BTW, my Asus A7N8X runs at 30C with full load without any problems at all. Yours is probably fine the way it is.

MRD said:
You had just about the same drop in temp I had. I was equally amazed. It does make sense though, you don't want the two fans fighting against each other.

Glad it worked.

BTW, my Asus A7N8X runs at 30C with full load without any problems at all. Yours is probably fine the way it is.

My fans where not fighting againts each other as the CPU fan was extracting the heat from the heat sink and the window fan was pulling the hot air directly out so it dont hang around the system raising the system temp. Either way it does seem that pushing hot air into and out the fins of the heat sink into the system cools the cpu more, while the hot air remaining in the system is being extracted via the back and top fans. As a final test iv turned the cpu fan right down to 2109 rpm the system temp is still 28c and cpu at 47c

Your CPU fan is NOT extracting air away from the sink, its pushing it down into it. Leave you CPU fan as it is and turn the window fan around so it sucks cool air in. Just do it, it's not like you can't turn it back around.

PS. - If you don't believe me that the CPU fan is blowing down, how do you explain the dust ;)

ElectroX said:
Your CPU fan is NOT extracting air away from the sink, its pushing it down into it. Leave you CPU fan as it is and turn the window fan around so it sucks cool air in. Just do it, it's not like you can't turn it back around.

PS. - If you don't believe me that the CPU fan is blowing down, how do you explain the dust ;)

Are you refering to the way it was or the way it is now?

Was:

Cpu sucking air way from the HS towards the window.
Window fan directly oposite pulling the air in the same direction = out the case.

Now:

CPU fan blowing directly into the HS, Window fan also blowing in air into the same direction as CPU fan.

Problem I have now is the hot Air is making motherboard hoter now at 33c

I have heat coming up from graphic card and heat blowing out from CPU HS with the chip set HS right in between the 2.

Back