• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon or Thunderbird - Ways to tell apart?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert Smith

Registered
When I bought my this computer back in December, I'm sure I got and AMD Thunderbird 800Mhz put in. Yet in all of the benchmark programs I use and under System Properties, if says I have an AMD Athlon 800Mhz. How can I tell which one I have short of opening the thing up as my dad won't let me void the warranty :(

And anyway, what is the difference between the two as they are both the same speed?

Ta

The thunderbird has on-die L2 cache, like the L1, working at full speed (ie: if you have a TBird 800MHz, your L2 cache will work at 800MHz, versus I think 1/2 speed with athlon classic). And I am not sure, but I think Athlon Classic has more L2 than tbird : classic has 512 KB of L2 cache, and TBird has 256KB, but as tbird's cache is working faster, it's more efficient, and more performant !

Almost forgot, Welcome to the forums !!!

Last edited:
Download CPU ID from here:

Hoda

Run the utility and it will tell you what you have - there will be 256K of full speed L2 cache if it's a thunderbird core.

Robert Smith said:
When I bought my this computer back in December, I'm sure I got and AMD Thunderbird 800Mhz put in. Yet in all of the benchmark programs I use and under System Properties, if says I have an AMD Athlon 800Mhz. How can I tell which one I have short of opening the thing up as my dad won't let me void the warranty :(

And anyway, what is the difference between the two as they are both the same speed?

Ta

An thunderbird is an athlon!! Thunderbird is just the codename for the cpu.

Back