• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sempron Benches/Comparison

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looking good as long as they don't pull a Prescott and disable iAMD 64 (tm).There was a rumor going around that there wouldn't be 64-bit support, but hopefully this isn't true. Should be cheap and perform pretty almost as well as an A64.

It looks to be a very promising processor. Teamed up with a cheap Chaintech board it could bring A64 to a whole new price point. I was planning on taking the plunge into A64 now, but I guess I can manage without my own comp for a few weeks :bang head The price is right 64bit or not :)

wpmegee said:
Looking good as long as they don't pull a Prescott and disable iAMD 64 (tm).There was a rumor going around that there wouldn't be 64-bit support, but hopefully this isn't true. Should be cheap and perform pretty almost as well as an A64.

yeah I think it is true, actually its in the specs as last I saw. Thats one of the reasons this processor is so cheap(hopefully) because its just meant to replace the AXP 32bit and move socketA to a 754 platform.
Its just disabled =( maybe someone could hack the microcode =P if thats where its disabled at...

who thinks the sempron will outperform the celeron(speed rating vs. equivilent clock speed)?

o wait, this is the AMD forum heh here come the fanboys! :p

wpmegee said:

Prescott was never meant to have 64-Bit. Intel may have it disabled like they did with HT on the early P4s, but we just dont know. Pulling a prescott would be something like running high 40C as an Idle temp, in other words putting out like 120watts of heat or more.

Back