• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to transfer users/mail from one server to another?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I'm currently running Redhat 7.3 w/ Postfix as my email server, at work.

I'm not really happy with the machine, because it has kind of grown into a patchwork of programs to do the things I need (separate email, calendar, listserver, etc.)

I've looked into SUSE OpenExchange Server (which also uses Postfix) and it looks like it suits my needs, perfectly.

I'm not incredibly Linux-savvy and I wondered if anyone knew of a really good way to transfer my users and their email from the old server, to the new one. If I need to recreate users and accounts, first, and then transfer mail, manually, that's fine. I only have 50 users and I know almost every password and such, by heart, so recreating the accounts isn't the problem. What I worry about is copying over their mail and subfolders and whatnot.

For the record, the new server is on completely new hardware, so I don't have to blow away the current Server installation. (If I could transfer files over the network, that would be awesome.)

Last edited:
simply copying the /home directory and the /etc/passwd file should be sufficiant to move the user accounts. Mail I'm not so sure on. If Im not mistaken mail is held in /var/mail. The only email I use is online based so I don't have alot of experience with it sorry :)

It depends on what kind of mail system you have. Qmail uses the Maildir style which keeps mail in the user's home directory under a directory called .maildir. Of course normal sendmail style keeps it in /var/mail like kaltag said. Postfix supports both styles so you'll have to see which one it's configured for.

If you don't want to lose the passwords you'd have to copy over /etc/shadow since that's where passwords are kept.

If you just pack everything into a tarball and put it on any media it'll be fine, be it FTP, a floppy or scp.

-DarkArctic

Just for reference, my RH 7.3 Email Server uses Sendmail/Postfix and I'm fairly sure that OpenExchange uses Sendmail/Postfix, as well.

Thanks for the tips on moving user accounts and passwords. I may try to play with this, a bit, and see how it works. I'm still playing with it, in a test environment, so maybe I can simply SCP the files over.

If anyone has any more tips, please keep them coming. I can use all the help I can get...

Back