• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Additional Motherboard cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1177/

is a mod iv'e been looking at for a few months already. A few things held me back though. 1: the lack of a dremel :)

and 2: when i suggested this mod to some friend of me, he said that it probably will provide false cooling results. Why? because it is cooling the motherboard (and thereby the socket diode) more then the CPU itself. therefor the socket diode will read temperatures lower then the actual cpu temp.

In the article is spoken of a 7 degree temperature drop, but according to my friends theory (which sounds very assumable) it will be less on the CPU itself if the readings are taken from the socket diode.

Before considering the mod yourself (as i am doing now) you (and i) would want to know how the readings were taken.

and 2: when i suggested this mod to some friend of me, he said that it probably will provide false cooling results. Why? because it is cooling the motherboard (and thereby the socket diode) more then the CPU itself. therefor the socket diode will read temperatures lower then the actual cpu temp.
That was my thought. I doubt you'd actually cool the CPU very much, especially since it's raised above the actual motherboard and doesn't rest on the PCB. The NB and mosfets, howerver, would probably benefit quite a bit from a mod like this. For the NB it would have a similar effect as cooling the back of a video card. Same with the mosfets, except probably more so as mosfets aren't designed to be cooled from the top.

i think that it ~could~ have some benefit to cpu, more to nb and mofsets, but no where near as much as that article reported due to what you have said

Usually a blowhole goes on the top of the tower. It's like a whale. CPU Fanwich might be better...or it could be an intake. I dunno. Just a hole on the motherboard side.

Turd Furguson said:
I would like to have seen a little bit more time put into that article b/c it was written poorly.

same idea. as i already said, we need more info on the temp readings and more pictures / drawings of airflow.

does this mod include cutting a whole in the tray the mobo is mounted on or is the fan just meant to blow in on a slab of metal?

I'm going to be cutting the tray. There is already a small hole in the tray in that area so I think I will just make it a little bigger and see if I can get, hopefully, a 120mm fan blowing on the back of my mobo.

Back