• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got a new AV8.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtlee75

I have the msi neo2 platnum and I just got this Abit AV8 to compare to. Anyone heard any issues or praises for the AV8? Thanks for the info.

Well I'm running an AV8 and it's been okay to me as I've been figuring out its quirks and what one needs to do when overclocking a s939 system. A lot of people are getting stuck on post errors though. The board is picky about PSUs, CPUs, and to a lesser extent memory. Here are the boards quirks:

• If you have a Winchester core CPU you MUST be running bios 15 (the latest) or your board will not POST (error code 90).
  • These boards dislikes some Antec PSUs. If you are running an Antec PSU you may get cyclical reboots.
  • This board is stubborn about running 4 DIMMS. With 4 DIMMs installed it may not POST or it may freeze on the POST screen.
  • You MUST have your CPU fan plugged into the board for at least your first post since the BIOS low RPM protection is on by default for the CPU fan (this problem produces the 9F error).
So yeah, it's pissy but solid otherwise.

Hi.

I am deciding between the two boards ( to use with a Winchester 3000+ to play around with) and certainly welcome this dialogue.

carry on!

well got it installed with a newcastle 3500+ and it has been stable out of the box. Not doing any oc yet just testing for now. Have antec 480 and everything else in my sig so I guess I will see.

Still haven't tried to oc yet. I work 2 jobs and a lot of over time. At present out of the box is great. benching over 50k in aqua with 204 fsb and 9800 pro-xt @ 440/390.

Back