• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Barton vs. Duron (advice plz)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BabyDinosaur

I have an Athlon XP 2100+ watercooled and OC'ed to 2600+ (roughly 2.2ghz), its time to get a new socket A processor but im unfamiliar with the new core types, wich socket A AMD would be the fastest replacement? the best OC?

Amd mobile barton 2600. Make sure your mobo will support it, your memory can do 225 mhz and be sure your cooling is top notch, or you won't get past 2.4 ghz. See my siggy.( You can run a higher multi with crappy memory, but for more balance, the above applies). Good luck....Iron.

Thankee, I have OCZ DDR-400 256MBx2 running duel channel on the ASUSA78x MoBo, ive fried two Solteks already increasing the multi/voltage and the Asus doesnt like to OC as well as the soltek, but ill give it a shot.

Mobile 2600+, search the board, end of story, close the thread. Just make sure your board can handle it and lock the PCI/AGP bus.

But- for the price your going to pay for a new Mobile XP, you might as well toss in a few more bucks and get a 754/939 setup. If your on a budget, you can start with a 754 Sempron, then later upgrade to an A64. Or a 939 setup would be more future-proof.

get the mobil 2600+ it oc pretty well. an athlon 64 would be better but that requires replacing the mobo as well

If your AXP 2100+ is running fine why spend the money on another Socket A processor? Thats just a dead end upgrade right there. If you really need something faster you might as well spend the extra money for a 754 or 939 mobo and processor.

ATF 2GTalon said:
If your AXP 2100+ is running fine why spend the money on another Socket A processor? Thats just a dead end upgrade right there. If you really need something faster you might as well spend the extra money for a 754 or 939 mobo and processor.

You are right in a way. But to spend $100 for a faster system, ( don't forget the cpu will be new) is not so bad. I built mine waiting for the whole venice thing to come and go, and to have a nice system that will get me by another year or 2. Then it will become my daughters school pc. By then maybe everyone will be saying " why build a 939 system, they are obselete...." Technology waits for noone: http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050207_160318.html . Last I checked, I can play any game available, and that is good enough for me....Iron.

I'm not saying that the socket A processors are slow in any means and I have no doubt they can play games fine.

Probably what I should of added in my comment is. If you don't want to spend the money on a new 754/939 and want to stick with socket A, then I would suggest keeping your wallet closed and just leave the rig the way it is until it dies or until you are ready for that new system. I just don't see the point in throwing more money at socket A if you don't have to.

ATF 2GTalon said:
I'm not saying that the socket A processors are slow in any means and I have no doubt they can play games fine.

Probably what I should of added in my comment is. If you don't want to spend the money on a new 754/939 and want to stick with socket A, then I would suggest keeping your wallet closed and just leave the rig the way it is until it dies or until you are ready for that new system. I just don't see the point in throwing more money at socket A if you don't have to.
I have to agree. I upgraded to tha XP-M for the extra L2. Now I look back and wish I had saved for the 64 or even the X2. Its tuff to change when you have all the socket A parts. Just my opinion. :shrug:

ATF 2GTalon said:

Yes, that is true. It depends on if you are willing to spend $100 for some more performance now, ( which may not be that much more than his current rig), or would rather save the $ for later. You both are bringing up good points....Thx....Iron.

I think upgrading an older system to the XP-M2600+ makes sense if you have a use for the old CPU. I bought mobiles for the four two year old systems below and the performance gain was worth the money.

It took time and work but was able to sell the old CPUs to friends who could get use out of them so the mobiles didn't cost much at all. It was a pain to find a perfect fit for the old CPUs and to install them but worth it.

where does Duron fit into this? :rolleyes: i was expecting to come in here and tell you XP's own Durons.

ya get 2600 mobile if you wanna overclock.

Back