• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 Series Price-Drop??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whozyodaddy

When will the 6800 series go down in price? The only thing that is stopping me from buying my computer is the video card... I don't want to buy a 6800GT or U only to find out the prices drop the next day.

If you are looking to get a high end, dont bother. There will be a 7800 varient core within the $300ish range with upcoming cards like the 7800GT and 7800.

I would wait for that.

whozyodaddy said:
When would that core come out?
****, I just bought a MAZE 4 GPU yesterday... would that work with 7800?
It depends. Maybe yes, maybe no. The other modles should be out in another week or so.

I don't want to spend over $350 for a graphics card... right now the 6800GT PCI-E is $345.00... I'm wondering if I should buy this now... I'll wait a week at most... but I want to stay with the 6800 series, because I have the MAZE 4 GPU already. If price-drops do occur, how much of a drop should I expect?

dont purchase PC products based on tommorows prices. You will never end up buying anything.

FACT: PC prices drop as fast as technology advances.

I just purchases a 6800nu agp for 170 shipped and I hear of people paying 300 for them just a month or so ago. If you got 350 to spend, I would get a 6800gt asap. THe price may drop in a month or so, but the sooner you get it the more youll get to enjoy it and get your moneys worth from it, if that makes sense to anyone.

--pak

6800gtsopretty.jpg

I sware it got dimmer when the 7800s came out! :(

Is there going to be an AGP version of the 7800 made or will people have to upgrade to PCI-E in order to use it?

I am pretty certain that there will be an AGP 7800. This is because the AGP 8x bus is far from being saturated at the moment and the majority of people still use the AGP graphics interface. Therefore it would be highly foolish of nVidia to ignore well over half it's potential customers.

I don't expect any price drops on the 6800's for awhile, Nothing is pinching them in the market to require a price drop. If and when the lower end 78's come out we may see a price drop, However if they go $499 on a 78gt, $399 on a vanilla 78, Then you may not see much of a price drop at all. Time will tell!

dont purchase PC products based on tommorows prices. You will never end up buying anything.
i cannot disagree with you here, in fact im a firm believer in this logic. but it's not often (often is a relative term) a new line of cards comes out. prices will drop more drastically with the release of the new line, than with simple deflation. i have to say it's worth it to wait and see. generally these aren't my standings, but when an entire new line is released, my standings are slightly skewed :/

Exactly. When a new line comes out. Then prices will drop more then regular deflation. I would wait around 2 weeks. That should push the PCIe 6800GT's under 300. (Refurbrished at newegg there are 6800GT's that are ~303)

I'm definately for sure NOT going to get a 7800 for at least half a year. Why? It just came out, and the prices are crazy high. Also, by the time these cards will be used to their advantage the prices will be $100-200 cheaper.

Soo.. back on topic. C'mon 6800... DROP!!

:D Sorry, just had to really!
lol. dude w/e!!! i had this card for like 4 weeks. it's just 'til i buy the 6800gt k!? lol. i had a 5700le on my p4 550, but i thought i'd try amd/pci-e for a change.

Back